Swap meet?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Re: Swap meet?

Post by jollyrgr »

Jimandy and Robert Reed,

I think this is a decent idea or collection of ideas. What I don't want to see is spammers what not. There are things on eBay that are driving me nuts; like thousands of "Pacific Rim" sales of items with only a few "swap meet" type items mixed in. The vendors have taken over. Not that I don't mind some of the wares but they should be in a separate listing. Your ideas seem to provide for a swap meet but deter mass vendors from overwhelming the site. I vote YES on something like this.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Robert Reed

Re: Swap meet?

Post by Robert Reed »

Jimandy
Good Point, maybe some sort of moderator could be added.
Larry Lemieux

Post by Larry Lemieux »

If you guys are interested enough to develop this idea a bit further, we (Nuts & Volts) would be glad to host this on the site. I'm not sure that the forum would be the best place for it, but we're open to anything. I would limit it to personal items only, no commercial sales. I don't really care whether stuff is sold, traded, given away or whatever. If you have to register to post an item, then we can easily pull the plug on any commercial (Pacific Rim or otherwise) vendors looking for free advertising for their crap.

Anyone interested? Let's hear more ideas and see where it goes. We could easily add this as part of the new web site we're working on for NV.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Actually I don't think the idea needs a forum as such (in the sense of a BBS), it simply needs web space some good CGI scripts, and human oversight. If N&V contributed the web space and a sub-domain name, I'll bet the rest could come together, with efforts from some of our members and with little or no cost for site design, much like open source software is generated and progresses as a SourceForge project.

If some of us wanted to collaborate on development it would be great if N&V would set up a category in the forum for the project. Then there could be separate threads where accounting, programming, member-rules, etc. would be discussed. I'm recalling a category that is no longer in the forum about some sort of contest.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I would love to see all of my old stuff recycled and put to good use.

Every thing from Lasers to Optics,.... and just piles and piles of recycled electronic goods.

I feel like I own Halted Specialities part Duex and it will all end up in the dump some day?

We need a forum for recycling these goodies, complete with thumb nail photos of each major item.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Larry said
If you guys are interested enough to develop this idea a bit further, we (Nuts & Volts) would be glad to host this on the site.
So I did a rough count and have 8 for, 2 against, and 4 sort of neutral, based on my interpretation of the poster's interest. Unfortunately, although there were more for than against, there was not an overwhelming number of posters. Perhaps if N&V could mention the possibility in their next issue... huh Larry?
"if it's not another it's one thing."
cato

Post by cato »

Assuming you're in the US, you can find the next coven of free/cheap chip loving ummm hobbiests near you here.

http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

With the deal you're offering, they will probably make you grand pooba!

:razz: