Phillips microcontroller help

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
tubecamera

Phillips microcontroller help

Post by tubecamera »

Hello to all:<p>I'm a newby to the forum with broad but basic electronics knowledge. I'm trying to affect a repair to a video unit I need for my work. The manufacturer will not support the unit any longer. I have two... one that works and one that does not. I traced the fault to a Phillips P89C51RD2HBA microcontroller. According to the specs it is an "8-bit flash microcontroller derivative of the 80C51 family". It too has been discontinued but I was able to buy three NOS parts from Hong Kong (no US reseller would even speak with me).<p>Now that I have the new parts I find they will not work. According to Phillips "while the main memory is flash, the configuration memory is OTP (one time programmable)". That would seem to mean the part must be programmed prior to being installed (yes, no?). There is also a 64K Eprom on board (W27C512-45) that is known good and holds the firmware. <p>This being the case I need to get these parts programmed somehow so I can use them to fix my unit and have a few spares for the future. Can anyone out there help me by programming these parts using the working part to copy from?<p>Not even sure this is possible. I've used an Eprom programmer to copy and burn firmware but not a microcontroller.<p>Thanks for the help,
George<p>[ October 07, 2005: Message edited by: tubecamera ]</p>
philba

Re: Phillips microcontroller help

Post by philba »

I'd google around for programmers for that part. by the way, the number looks suspiciously close to atmel 8051 family controller part numbers which are AT89C51... . I wonder if it was a private label deal, if so, an atmel programmer might do the trick. compare pinouts and specs.<p>One thing that might be an issue - modern microcontrollers have code protect that prevent one from copying the firmware. hope that's not the case here.<p>it may be possible to deduce the config settings from the working unit.<p>Hope its worth it because it looks like a big effort to me.<p>[ October 07, 2005: Message edited by: philba ]</p>
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Hi George,
I have access to a programmer (Logical Devices)that supports that part. It's a 44 pin PLCC, right? Send me an email if you are interested. No promises, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Dave
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Well George,
Bad news... I had the Chief Engineer help me today.
He says that I did everything possible to read and copy the
chip. The security bit(s) must be set, and there is no way
that he knows of to hack it from there.
Just in case, I copied the Master to one of the NEW
chips and marked it with a STAR. I figured it was worth
wasting one chip on the off chance the program would take!
I am sending the 5 pieces back to you labeled:
NEW(Star) - Attempted Programmed Chip
NEW - Still New
NEW - Still New
BAD - Old Bad IC
MASTER - Original Good Chip.
I never attempted to write to the MASTER, so it
shouldn't have been damaged by my attempts. I also took
ESD precautions at all times.
Please let me know when you receive them. They are going
out this afternoon via Airborne Express. I can get you a tracking
number if you would like later.