USB - APRS?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

USB - APRS?

Post by cato »

This doohickey http://n1vg.net/opentracker/ almost does what I want. The problem is that it wants to talk to a GPS receiver via RS-232.

Is anyone aware of a similar item that would agree to talk to a GPS receiver via USB?

The specific GPS receiver I have in mind is the Pharos Gps-360 that comes with, or is associated with, Microsoft Streets & Trips 360.

Thanks

<small>[ December 23, 2005, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: cato ]</small>
dyarker

Re: USB - APRS?

Post by dyarker »

I don't believe a USB device can talk directly to another USB device. USB is designed for devices to talk to a host, or host to device; usually a PC as host.
Dale Y
cato

Post by cato »

...so, the inteface would emulate a host, no?

eg:

http://ttl2usb.com/
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The ttl2usb is serial to USB device for connecting equipment with serial port to PC which is USB only.

A USB host emulator that echos data from one USB device to another (or to a serial port) can be built with a microcontroller and USB hub chip set. Finding one to buy might be hard.

Easier (and maybe cheaper) to buy an RS-232 GPS to use with the opentracker.
Dale Y
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

If you want a self contained USB GPS, these are all over eBay for $25 to $50. Simply plug into the USB port. The entire device is about the size of a "standard" two button computer mouse. In fact look up "GPS MOUSE" on eBay. Buying one elswhere raises the price to under $200.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
cato

Post by cato »

Thanks Jolly, that isn't what I want. What I want is a small device that talks to such a GPS and converts the information from the GPS to amateur radio packet tones.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

AHHH! You want to INTERFACE the USB GPS to the radio without using a computer. I was not able to connect to your link when I first posted and thought you were looking for a GPS that had a USB output. I was able to connect to your link just now and see what you are after.

The device you want is a USB TNC (Terminal Node Controller) with a built-in TRACKER. You want this device: http://www.elcom.gr/index.html?24.html&1

If you read the entire list of what this does you will see that (five up from the bottom) this is a self contained tracker. Plug the USB port from your GPS to the GPS port on the TNC, connect the audio/keyer connections from the TNC to the radio and you're set. The only thing you will need a computer for is setting your call sign. Reading the basic description might seem confusing as this device does so much more. But it has the feature you are looking for.

<small>[ December 24, 2005, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</small>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
cato

Post by cato »

Thanks again for trying, but no, that won't work either. It has a USB port for connecting to a computer, but the "Build in GPS RX and TX port" is not USB.