SMT Programming

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
chapter30

SMT Programming

Post by chapter30 »

I've been using different microcontrollers for a while now. I want to start using the surface mount packages of these controllers but I don't know how someone would program the micro. My universal programmer only holds DIP IC's. Does it require expensive equipment to program surface mount?
robnee

Re: SMT Programming

Post by robnee »

I built an adapter using .1" breakaway pins and a custom PCB. I tinned only the pads that are required for progamming and hot glued some scrap PCB to help align the part over the pads. I insert the chip into the adapter and apply finger pressure to make sure the pins make contact with the pad. This avoids the expensive DIP to SOIC adapters I've seen.<p>Rob
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

You only need five connections. Just make sure that the PCB has pads (preferably plated through holes) available for them, with sufficient isolation or a means of disconnecting the chip from the circuit while programming.
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

Man...I get irritated dealing with dip packages during de-bugging. The SMT thing sounds a lot more slow going. I'm going to give it a shot though. <p>Thanks.
philba

Post by philba »

I did a project where I created 5 pads on the PCB that were connected to the ICSP pins of the SMT PIC I was using. Then I used a homemade clip with 5 pins that would contact the ICSP pads. The pins were wired to an ICSP header that connected to my programmer. A bit rube goldbergesque but it worked like a champ to program about 50 PCBs and I didn't have to drill the ICSP header holes.<p>But wait! you can also buy SOIC test clips that clip onto soldered-in SOICs and will work just fine for ICSP of SOICs. Of course, I discovered this AFTER I went to all that trouble. http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/pdf/d5 ... 7_1_01.pdf
The 8 pin one is like $9...<p>sigh...<p>Phil
robnee

Post by robnee »

> But wait! you can also buy SOIC test clips that clip onto soldered-in SOICs and will work just fine for ICSP of SOICs. Of course, I discovered this AFTER I went to all that trouble.<p>That sounds like a great solution. The SMT ZIF sockets I've seen are hideously expensive and you don't need to add a ICSP header to your project. Thanks!
chapter30

Post by chapter30 »

The soic clips might be the way. All I need now is a new pair of glasses and I'll be all set.<p>I'm going for it. It looks like projects are about to lose a little weight.