Old Copy of VB

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Mike

Old Copy of VB

Post by Mike »

I am looking for a copy of the old dos version of Visual Basic to play around with. Does anybody have it and could send me a copy? <p>Thanks, Mike
rshayes

Re: Old Copy of VB

Post by rshayes »

As far as I know, the last BASIC meant for DOS was QBASIC (probably version 4.5). This was available as either an interpreter or as a compiler. The interpreter was distributed with some of the CD versions of Windows 95 (D:\other/oldmsdos/qbasic.exe). The compiler was sold boxed as a separate application with two manuals included. A copy might show up on eBay. Both execute the same code; the compiler version can convert it to a binary .exe file if desired. These do not have a graphic user interface, which may be their best feature.<p>Visual Basic is fundamentally different it that it does not directly execute programs, but requires that a form be defined, with some element such as a button on that form, and that an event occur, such as a mouse click on that button. It will then execute code attached to that button and wait for another event. This is very complicated to set up if all you really wanted to do was execute the classic "hello world" program.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Stephen, I know that there is a dos version, as it says so in the QBASIC help. I just cannot find it.<p>-Mike
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Hello Mike,<p>It can be downloaded from Microsoft (support.microsoft.com). A search for "olddos" will give you about 8 or 9 hits. One of these will be for "CD extras for Windows 95 upgrade". This has a list of files, one of which is "olddos.exe". This is a self-extracting file. Put it in an empty folder and open it. It will extract 25 new files into the same folder. The two that you want are "QBASIC.EXE" AND "QBASIC.HLP". These are the QuickBasic interpreter and help file.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Stephen,<p>I do not need QuickBasic, I need Visual Basic. I already have QuickBasic. I know there is a version of VB for DOS.<p>-Mike
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Hello Mike,<p>I stand corrected. I see that there is a web page (www.emsps.com/oldtools/msvb.htm) that is offering copies of Visual Basic for DOS for sale. Prices range from $69 to $495, depending on the state of decay (new, used, no manuals, etc.). It was distributed on ten or twelve floppies, which seems huge for a DOS program.<p>This might be wierd enough to show up on eBay.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Please wait, while I choke!!! :eek: :eek: <p>There is no way that they will sell an old dos program for $500. I believe you that they are, but I cannot see anybody purchasing it, at those prices. Even $70 is overpriced. You can get a new copy of version 6 for much cheaper. But, thanks for taking the time to look for this software.<p>-Mike
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

I agree. I got sticker shock when I saw the prices, but I assumed that it was because I'm a cheap SOB.<p>Swap meets are erratic, but sometimes the prices are good. A couple of years ago, I saw VB 5 for about $30, it is probably less now. I have also seen DOS 6.22 at around $10, shrink wrapped with COA.<p>Sams Publishing had a text on VB 5 that came with a stripped down version (Control Creation Edition). Book and software were $20.<p>Visual Basic for DOS might have appealed to computer game developers. Many games were written to run under DOS even after Windows 95 was well established. Windows 95 just wasn't fast enough. If you know anyone that was in that business, they might have a copy in a dusty closet somewhere.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello there,<p>There is a relatively new language called
"Euphoria" at
http://www.rapideuphoria.com/
that works something like QBASIC, but with
added user libraries can do standard Windows
and controls (buttons, windows, menues,
even RichEditText edit windows).<p>The public domain version is free.
Registered version is $30 US.<p>I've been using this language (along with C and
C++) since about 1997.<p>If you liked QBASIC you will like this much more,
because you can get it to do a lot with the
user contributed include files (over 1000).<p>Also, if you have any questions, there is a forum
dedicated to answering these questions at
http://www.topica.com/lists/EUforum/read<p>There are always lots of people ready to answer
any and all questions you might have, such as how
to create a window, button, or other windows
control.<p>Take care for now,
Al
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.