PicBasic Pro... Is it worth the 250?

Electronics Computer Programming Q&A
Galixy

PicBasic Pro... Is it worth the 250?

Post by Galixy »

I would like to use PICs in my hobby robotics project. I was wondering if anyone may be familiar with Micro Engineering Labs "PicBasic Pro" compiler. I would like to use the PWM, ADC, and I2C features of some PICs and need to know if PicBasic Pro would fit the bill.<p>I am familiar with the Basic Stamp, and not to comfortable with assembly yet. This is why PicBasic Pro looks attractive to me.<p>Any input is would be appreciated.<p>Thanks...
jrob709

Re: PicBasic Pro... Is it worth the 250?

Post by jrob709 »

also wondering the same thing. the pic chips are so much cheaper that i would think the price is worth it.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Which basic to use and is value for money, differs on what your requirements are.<p>For ease of use then PicBasicPro and MBasic(from Basic Micro) are very similar.<p>IF on the other hand you also want to be able to see and understand the basic's ASM output then you are better off with the Basic from Celestial Horizons or the PciBasic from Crownhill electronics. The latter also has PICS and development boards and books as well.<p>Both of the latter basics actually produce a proper ASM file as you go, so that makes it easier to see how their compiler works, add ASM instructions of your own and more importantly at a more advanced level tweak your code.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
desterline

Post by desterline »

Ok,
I got into PICs a couple years ago, and bought a C compiler (CCS) and the PIC16F877 set from Peter Anderson. After a couple years of trying to deal with the complexities of C and fighting with Mplab I bought picBasic Pro. I can't tell you how much I love this tool. For anybody comming from basic stamps, I wholeheartedly reccomend it. <p>You'll also want microCode Studio (MCS). MCS is an IDE that the basic compiler plugs into. You can download a free verson of MCS, but I'd reccomend paying the $45 and getting the plus version. It contains a bootloader for all the common flash parts (16f87x(A) and a bunch of 18F) and a cool debugging tool.<p>As far as being able to veiw/edit/read the ASM, picBasic Pro actualy produces the ASM source, then assembles it with it's own assembler (or you could chose to use Mpasm). So you can examine it if you want to.<p>Forgive me for putting in a plug for a friend here, but if you're going to buy it, give Randy Jones www.glitchbuster.com a call. I've been very happy with his service, and he give me a better deal than I could get direct form MeLabs.<p>BTW There are significant limmitations in picPasic compared to picBasic Pro, the price difference for Pro is well worth it.<p>Good Luck
Denny Esterline