Question on software

Interested in Robotics? Here's the place to be.
hongkongfooey71

Question on software

Post by hongkongfooey71 »

Hello all,<p>I was just wondering what the most common or most popular software or programming language that is used in the robotics industry. (Private and Comercial)<p>I know this may be tough to answer, as there are many compilers out there. <p>The reason for my question is, I am wanting to get into the hobby, and I have experience with "C", machine, and ladder logic programming.
Leviticus

Re: Question on software

Post by Leviticus »

You would probably be best off starting with microcontrollers and using the programming language that is best compatible with the microcontroller of your choice.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Freeware- Microchip Website MPLab IDE is free. The environment is ASM<p>Free / Pay to Upgrade-
microEngineering Labs PICBasic and PICBasic Pro (have to buy an upgrade to get Pro). I use Pro and I like it. I haven't done anything with a Basic Stamp. What I've done has been with the PIC and it works fine.<p>That's the two that I know about...
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

If you are good with programming in C. I would recommend using the MSP430 from Texas Instruments for the following reasons..
Samples are free and they provide over a 1000 sample codes for their chips.<p>I made a robot for my college last year and I used the MSP430 449<p>www.sambuchi.net
click > Projects > Robot-IEEE<p>I have Pictures of the chip and some code I think…
bwts

Post by bwts »

Personally i like to stick to low level languages (assembley languages, machine code if u have an eye for it)as memory is usually an issue and higher level langauges tend to give inefficient code once compiled, also assembley langauge is much closer to what the device is actually doing although can be painful to debug if its a large program. I use PICs mostly and use Microchip,s ASM.
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah