relay help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jason

relay help

Post by jason »

This is a simple question. I'm trying to control a paper shredder from a BASIC stamp2. I know that I could go out and get an X-10 gizzmo, but I think that is way more then I really need. What I am thinking is a simple relay circuit that i can trigger with the Stamp. The problem is that I am new to electronics and have not played with relays yet.
The shredder needs 120 VAC at 60Hz 1.0A.
Any suggestions?
Chris Smith

Re: relay help

Post by Chris Smith »

A solid state relay might solve all of your problems? <p>Low to high voltage inputs, typically 3 to 32 volts. <p>Low current sense or trigger current.[milliamps] <p>120 and 250 volt models available.<p>Small to high amperage ratings available.<p>Using one of these makes it possible to connect to almost anything with out the need for interface circuitry.
Edd

Re: relay help

Post by Edd »

Jason:
For the application and its drive I also concur
with the simplicity and safety of interface to
your circuitry with a S.S. relay.In reference to
your bio as to being a newcomer and a "stundent"
to electronics, I'll pull and send a unit to you
that will meet/exceed your circuits requirements
....even pigtail it for you. It would install where your paper feed sensing switch is, and the input would go to the control Stamp circuitry.Now
tell us all ...whats the Stamp control/paper shredder relationship/utilization? Send me snail
mail info.
Tnx 73's de Edd