Project for interested 10 yr old

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Project for interested 10 yr old

Post by CeaSaR »

With the holiday season here and some time off coming up, I thought I'd let my 10 yr old son build something to get him started in electronics. Though I've been an avid reader of many publications for over 15 years, I still am not at the design end (the thread on CIE reminds me how well real schooling helps ;) ). He's finally getting his own CD player and I wanted him to build a small amp and speakers. It would be easy to use a pair of lm386's, but I want him to use discreet components. Does anyone have a schematic for a simple class AB amp using off the shelf transistors? Maybe 2n3904/06's for the first stage and 2n2222's for the output or similar? It'd be nice to use a dual ganged volume control and separate bass & treble - dual ganged also. I'd like to be able to walk into Rat Shack and dig through their drawers for the parts. Anywhere from 1 to 5 watts is fine for output power. Of course decent fidelity would be a prerequisite, though real hifi would be a plus.<p> Remember, this is a project for a 10 year old, and should still be fairly simple / straightforward built with point to point wiring - no more testing needed than simple voltage measurements. I think he would be proud to be able to do this, as he has shown interest in building "stuff" with my old 150 in 1 project kit. Lord knows his classmates aren't into the hands on aspect of electronics, only the end user side.<p>Thanks,
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Externet

Re: Project for interested 10 yr old

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Unsure of if RadioShack has kits to build. Try.
For sure they at least had the experimenter kits, with many parts and dozens of projects for starters in one package.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
jwax

Post by jwax »

www.ramseykits.com is great for a wide variety of kits.
I'm sure you're aware soldering skills, component ident, etc. are all basic prerequisites for kit building.
At 10, I was thrilled with a crystal radio, electromagnets, and lights. Shortwave radio with a world at your fingertips got me into ham radio.
WA2RBA
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

I just built this little kit:<p>LED Christmas Tree<p>It was a kick to build and a nice change of pace. I know that it's not a stereo amp but it had a lot of "fun factor" to it.
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
peter-f

Post by peter-f »

This is Not a good idea for You, but those cruising thru this thread may be abled to use the SnapCircuits kits... for REAL simple circuit construction.<p>I gave up on RS kits when IC's filled 'em up.. can't really get to understand how a circuit works when it enters a 'black box' and miraculously does something new... I look for simpler circuits to instruct what thing DO - IMO: all else teach "it doesn't work anymore... throw it out" attitudes, and defeat the purpose of UNDERSTANDING the design. Sadly - the good kits are long gone. (Heathkit, anyone?)<p>The Ramsey site seems a good start... I have a local shop that has several similar sources, and I'd look up similar project Mfrs. when interested.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Heathkits were awesome. I still have all of the stuff that I built (HW-8 for one). <p>One of the things that I liked about the XMAS tree kit was that it can be used to teach how a transistor works and how an RC circuit works.
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

So far,<p>1. Rat Shack doesn't have S*** in the way of real kits anymore. The only time they have anything close to what they used to have back in the late 70's and early to mid 80's is around now. But they are just the snap together/springclip all in one type thing - which I already have, thank you.<p>2. Ramsey is a great company for kits, but they are based on using multifunction chips, not entirely discreet components. :( I did like their 20 watt SMT amp - looks REALLY cool! I still want discreet - it looks like you really did something instead of just "connecting the dots/pins" so to speak. Yes all those skills are necessary, and I am more than willing to help him whenever needed.<p>3. LED's are cool, so are robots, of which he has a few (an i-CYBOT being his fav. - bought it with his own money!). He picked up an electric "spider" at the school's book fair a while back and built it himself, only to find a faulty solder joint on the switch from the factory. Other than that it walks great.<p>To recap, thanks so far on the input, but I still would like to see my original request fulfilled at some point.<p>BTW, did you ever see the difference between an older solid state stereo and a new one. I believe the older circuit boards were more artistic than the newer jam-packed boards of micro miniaturization. Just my observance.<p>Thanks again,
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Hey!<p>You 2 got in there before I could post. Peter - my thoughts exactly. Like I stated originally, his buds at school don't get into the guts of things. It's easier to buy new instead of fixing or building. If he can build this amp, his next project would probably be an alarm to keep his little brother out of his stuff!<p>I miss the old kits too. This must come from remebering the days when Laffyette was THE name in local stereo sales... the store that sold them and all the other goodies is long gone.<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

I hear ya loud and clear, try this web page
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

let me know if that was what you were looking for
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Read a post get a reply! That's what I call service. Yes, that is pretty much what I am looking for. Does anyone have a schematic and parts list I could use? One channel would be enough for me to duplicate out to stereo. I would still like to walk into RS and buy all the components from the boxes. Maybe I'll get a chance to look in there tonight and see what they have. Thanks PR!<p>CeaSaR<p>PS - sorry for the stuffed nose in the last post. I was getting all misty eyed thinking of Laffyette... :D
Hey, what do I know?
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

Ok, try this out web page
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

CeaSaR- try Hosfelt. They have always been able to find what i needed. Even if it's not on their website. Just call and ask.<p>[ December 06, 2004: Message edited by: High4Volts ]</p>
joey7f

Post by joey7f »

Caesar, <p>If you check out paul's last link for the class ab amp, if you "duplicate" the last stage (the ones with the BD140/141) you can increase the power. I have a friend who made a 500 watt Class AB Amp doing just that; it sounds fantastic. I assume you want a small portable one right? If he is into some power he could impress the hell out of his classmates. Not only that, you could teach him about making a custom power supply to provide the +- 70-80 volt rails. (It would cost you about 150 bucks, but you can usually get samples free :) )<p>--Joey
Mike

Post by Mike »

I know you guys are probably mad at me for linking to my site all the time, but I think he may like building a gainclone type amplifier instead because they will be louder and simpler to understand the workings than a discrete amp. I have two projects on my page. The LM3886 is probably dealing with too much voltage/current/fire hazard if something is not correctly built, but the LM1875 20W amp would be a good choice. I am planning to redesign the PCB for it to be simpler to build and smaller, so if you could wait a week or so it would be done.<p>Plus, if well built using good components, these circuits can be hi-fi.<p>the schematics are at http://www.electronet.dyndns.org/electr ... matics.htm<p>Although it's one of those circuits that peter-f describes well, where is enters a black box and does a mysterious thing, this would be easier for a 10-year-old to underatand.<p>Again, sorry for promoting my site again :)