DIP switches

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
L. Daniel Rosa

DIP switches

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

I rescued a seroius bunch (maybe 200+) of 8-position DIP switches from the recycle bin that were being tossed because "they're not waterproof enough". They're new, amd most are still in tubes. The problem before me now is finding ideas that may use a few so I can justify this to my SO. Comments?
Ed446

Re: DIP switches

Post by Ed446 »

Bally & Stern electronic flippers games use these on the MPU boards to set game features. You might find someone that rebuilds these boards.
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

I use those things to provide constants to lab bench test machines. Also they could be used for the same purpose in numeric robots. Put them on a board with a header and pullup resister to provide connections.
Where do you find all this stuff. I had a friend who made a living buying and selling junk and obsolete stuff.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Thanks Ed, thanks Harold, those are good suggestions. One I figured on my own was some resistor substitution modules. Not as robust as bigger ones, but servicable.<p>Harold, I get them out of the recycle bin where I work. For time/space/money reasons, some parts are deemed not worth keeping around even though they're new. I grab those when I can, but I can't use 1300 precision 10.0k 1/2w resistors so I post here. Sometimes the parts aren't new, but testable and worth the trouble, like a fistful of LM335s (Kelvin scale, linear output thermometers) or six pounds of 20char*2line LCD modules.<p>Oops, typed for too long. I'm being booted off the computer by my SO. Caio.<p>[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: L. Daniel Rosa ]</p>
greg123

Post by greg123 »

Hey Dan,<p>Got thoses fets, please reemail me your addy, i lost it when my computer broke over the summer.<p>Greg
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

I use DIP switches all the time on the little breadboard modules .... oh .... that may be a sore subject, huh, Dan? Hey. If you have a copy of WordPerfect 7.0 or 8.0, I have a writeup for you to take a look at. It might be published in Poptronics in the near future, but not sure yet. Meanwhile, I'm really close to sending you the layouts along with the printing routine for a LaserJet. You may have to borrow a system to do the printing if you don't have LJ access. Send me an e-mail with your USPS mailing address and I'll try to work up a diskette and maybe a hard copy of the write-up (you can proof it for me!) of the article.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

I was wondering if you can saw them up so you get 4 individual spst switches they should fit nicely on a pcb board.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

I have my doubts about cutting them up, but since I have 200+ I'll sacrifice one for the cause. I won't be able to get two four-packs though, one switch will be lost in the alteration.
bizzybody

Post by bizzybody »

Ever thought about starting up a "Surplus Sales" division where you work? Pitch it to your boss(es) as a money saving deal. At least get some of the $ back from the parts. Just sell the stuff on eBay in bulk lots or inventory it and setup a website.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

dim bulb: I tried, and as I suspected the switches are roughly worthless after the package is cut. Worthy idea though.<p>Edd466, Harold, Dean, dim bulb, Gregg: Thanks for the ideas. What're your addresses, so that I can send some to each of you?<p>Greg: I think I still have yours. I'll send you some too.