PC Based Scope?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
forrestgump

PC Based Scope?

Post by forrestgump »

In Jan NutsVolts Mag there is an article on page 13 for a device that allows you to use you pc as a scope. It got me thinking is there a kit or schmatic out there to build such a device? I'm interested in PC based projects I'm a computer tech by trade and electronics as a hobby so I thought this would be a good way to tie them together! Any info, links, comments, would be apprechiated!<p>Mark
bodgy

Re: PC Based Scope?

Post by bodgy »

EPE magazine had a set of circuits for a low resolution PC scope using a PIC this month they have a PIC based logic analyzer.<p>It would be a back issue by now. The kit would be produced by Magenta www.magenta2000.co.uk<p>colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
mustang

Post by mustang »

I picked up a program that uses the sound card as an input for a scope. I believe I found it on Larry's Robotics and Electronics Page. <p>Ray
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi OKjello.<p>Here it is:<p>http://polly.phys.msu.su/~zeld/oscill.html<p>The good thing is it really works. Enjoy,<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
forrestgump

Post by forrestgump »

Thanks all for your reply! I will be tired for work toromow cause I will be up all night playing but thats ok!!! Thanks again for the info I will let you know how i make out!!<p>Mark
brettn

Post by brettn »

Hey, I checked this out & it's way cool! I teach after school classes in robotics to middle school & high school kids and this will be an awsome tool for them to be able to take home and use in their electronics explorations & troubleshooting. The microphone is kinda fun to play around with for a few minutes, but does anyone know of a circuit that I can use to probe electronics that will protect my sound card from too high of a voltage or too much amperage? Also, it would be really nice to to be able to read voltages greater than +/- 2 volts. Is there any simple way to compress the input voltage linearly so that a 10 volt signal goes to the sound card as 2volts, a 5volt signal goes to the card as 1 volt, etc?<p>TIA,<p>Brett Nelson
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Brettn.<p>>>>>>>>>>> does anyone know of a circuit that I can use to probe electronics that will protect my sound card from too high of a voltage or too much amperage?<<<<<<<<<<p>For this, you may use 1n4007 diodes pairs head to toes; only one will clip signals at 0.7Vpp; if you use two in series the clipping level will raise to 1.4 Vpp ; three in series will clip to 2.1Vpp....<p><<<<<<<<<<<<<Also, it would be really nice to to be able to read voltages greater than +/- 2 volts.>>>>>>>>><p>A high impedance voltage divide-by-ten resistor network will supply you with scaled down levels.<p><<<<<<<<<<<Is there any simple way to compress the input voltage linearly so that a 10 volt signal goes to the sound card as 2volts, a 5volt signal goes to the card as 1 volt, etc>>>>>>>>> <p>This would be the same network on different ratio dividing by 5.<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -