Wiring schematic programs

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
DestroyerX

Wiring schematic programs

Post by DestroyerX »

I'm interested in making a computer wiring diagram for a robot I built, but it is awfully tedious to draw every line in a prog. such as Microsoft Word. I wanted to know if anyone knew of a program that is built to help create wiring schematics.<p>I originally posted this question in the robotics portion of this forum but they told me it would be better to post here and that some people on this forum did indeed use such programs.<p>Does anyone know of any cheap/free ones?<p>If you want to see pictures of the robot, they can be found:<p>http://www.pbase.com/jasonq/inbox<p>Thanks,<p>Jason
UT2004 rox
Mike6158

Re: Wiring schematic programs

Post by Mike6158 »

Yes. I use Cadsoft Eagle. The free version limits the size of the board that you can create.<p>Here's a link:<p>Cadsoft Eagle
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes, eagle is very nice.<p>Here are a couple of schematics I've made using the free version:<p>http://www.electronet.dyndns.org/electr ... lm3875.htm<p>http://www.electronet.dyndns.org/electr ... lm3886.htm<p>The second one I did not make, but was given for a project I was working on and got permission to host on my site. Those are all done in Eagle Free version, along with the PCBs, if you are planning on making them ever.
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

express pcb has a fairly nice program, and eagle is pretty good too.
Edd

Post by Edd »

He e e e y Mike:
Looking at ur home page and initiating a call up schematics and then making
a call up of the LM3875 application note circuit.
Most assuredly this was amongst one of your earliest created schematics.
Checking out schemas 2 and 3 seem to reveal that you were using their
Version 1.00 , vice the utilization of Version 2.2 with its incorporated
Schemat-o-chek feature, which would have zeroed in on the utilization of
the pair of .1 ufd @ 5 watt resist-o-caps. :)<p>[ August 28, 2005: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
Mike

Post by Mike »

But you need them for paralleling any amp!<p>In fact, that's my latest amp.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Read my lips :)
.1 ufd at 5 watts<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] ..….....(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]….......(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;) <p>Remember, you're unique, just like everyone else.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Edd, come this Friday, we're going to introduce the ever-popular polarized resistor concept, the DC transformer, incandescent lamps that can actually use AC OR DC, zero-bandwidth transmitters, magnets with only two North poles, and other miracles! :D
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

oh haha im an idiot. I just noticed what you were saying! I'll definately need to change that before someone really puts a 0.1uf cap on the output and then bombards my email asking why theres no bass in their amp!<p>BTW, I could use one of them DC transformers :) Would really help on my car amp project... :) :) <p>edit: all fixed now... oh, and I should note that the bridge/parallel schematics were not designed with eagle. I just did those in paint.<p>[ March 28, 2005: Message edited by: Mike ]</p>
DestroyerX

Post by DestroyerX »

I'm more interested in a general program where one can easily create his own obejcts such as servos or other peripherals and easily create numbered ports that can be wired to each other. I don't need all the little specific parts like resistors, capacitors, etc..<p>Does anyone a program that would be good for me?<p>Thanks again,<p>Jason
UT2004 rox
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Have you had a look at SmartDraw? Maybe it will fit your need.
http://www.smartdraw.com
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

Every schematic capture program that I have seen included a part editor for creating new parts. These can usually create a few basic shapes (lines, rectangles, circles, etc.) and group them together to form a library symbol. Pins can be added as part og the symbol, and they can usually be both numbered and named. You probably won't find the symbols you want in the library supplied with the program, but you can add them. Even the downloadable software from ExpressPCB has a parts editor.<p>The unfortunate thing is that none of the parts editors are particularly easy to use. There is usually a lot of switching between menus and modes to create the simplest part. It can be done, but it takes a little work with the specific program that you are trying to use. Don't try to do a several hundred pin part the first time out. That will lead to insanity.<p>An alternative, if you only want a drawing, is a drafting program such as TurboCAD. The simplest version, usually called Designer, is about $30 at retail stores. I have seen it in CompUSA and Fry's. I have also seen simpler drawing programs for as little as $10. These may be harder to use.