USB Design or USB Complete - which book to buy?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
kinneplastics

USB Design or USB Complete - which book to buy?

Post by kinneplastics »

USB Design by Example: A Practical Guide to Building I/O Devices (2nd Edition)<p>USB Complete: Everything You Need to Develop Custom USB Peripherals<p>Anyone have these or used them? I am looking to learn how to build my own USB devices for my robot and need to learn how. Does anyone know of any better book than these?<p>Wayne
dr_when

Re: USB Design or USB Complete - which book to buy?

Post by dr_when »

Is the USB Complete the one by Jan Axelson (sp?)? She is great and I have read an earlier edition of the book and I know someone who just got the latest. Her Parallel port books were great also.<p>Also check out FDTI and their simple/cheap USB solutions.<p>Bob
"Who is John Galt?"
kinneplastics

Post by kinneplastics »

FDTI & simple/cheap USB solutions both come up with nothing on Google, got some more info?<p>Thanks
Wayne
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Maybe it's FTDI... I'm a little dyslexic today!<p>Bob
"Who is John Galt?"
kinneplastics

Post by kinneplastics »

Thanks, I found them at FTDIchips.com. But found no book, sent them an email :) <p>Thanks much
Wayne
pboese

Post by pboese »

I can't help with the book source, but I will vouch that using the FTDI USB chips is really easy. As long as you are comfortable using a surface mount component. Either that or use the prebuilt modules in DIP format from a company like DLP Designs<p>I prefer through hole parts myself and I'm currently taking a close look at Microchip's PIC18F2450/2550/4455/4550 line of USB enabled devices. The only thing I don't like about these chips is that Microchip does not offer a hobbyist friendly USB-Serial codebase and drivers, other than some demo code that works only with Windows2000/XP. This product seems geared more for a company that's going to get their own USB VID/PID and roll the drivers for some proprietary device. It would be wonderful if Microchip would offer the code, OS drivers and dedicated VID/PID such that hobbyists/experimenters would have low cost and easy to use USB-Serial solution in DIP package.<p>Of course this is also an oppourtunity for some enterprising company to license some software IP and drivers too.<p>It could be an interesting opensource project! Perhaps some company with deep pockets would be willing to donate a VID/PID to such an project. Of course there would probably have to be some restrictions on use of the VID/PID such as for experimental/hobbyist use only and not as a way for a commercial entity to sidestep the "offical" path to USB nirvana. Use of the software itself with their own VID/PID would of course be allowed and even encouraged. Improvements to the codebase based on their USB compliance testing would benefit all.<p>But alas as I awake from my day dream... I think for hobbyists at least the FTDI products are the easiest way to get started with USB. They have drivers for Windows and Apple operating systems plus third party/opensource drivers for Linux and BSD*. <p>Regards<p>[ March 13, 2005: Message edited by: Axlen ]</p>
The Dreamcast is not dead
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

Did you get the PICDEM FS USB Board? If so is there open source windows drivers with the kit? I ordered one but it’s backordered until 4/7/05.
dunnd1

Post by dunnd1 »

How are your experiments going?
Corleone: Good. (The Don puts his hand on Bonasera's shoulder.) Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But uh, until that day - accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day.