Programming KEELOQ devices

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Trejep

Programming KEELOQ devices

Post by Trejep »

I posted this in the programming forum as well (if that is against forum rules please lock) but it seems this part of the forums is more active....here is my post...
I am looking at programming an HCS200 and HCS512 from microchip.com. I have a BP1600 (BPWIN) universal programmer which shows that it supports the devices. My question is that in the datasheets from microchip HCS512 data sheet it shows the hold times, programming waveform etc....but I have no idea how the code or what type of code I should write in order for my programmer to load the correct values into the eeprom. I am used to writing verilog then generating a jedec file to write as well as assembly for generating hex files.....Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!
Trevor Jeppesen
Clyde Crashkop

Re: Programming KEELOQ devices

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

You might explore the microchip.com web site some more. They have lots of documentation and samples with source code. I do well with samples. I see how they do it and modify it to do what I want. Even source code for other their chips can help.
Trejep

Post by Trejep »

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking and will contact microchip about this. One idea I had was to just read the eeprom on the chip and manually change the values within the BP program then rewrite (the configuration code) to the chip. The only thing I am worried about is that I believe this chip has uber security and will not allow a read from it's eeprom (except directly after programming to verify the programming was successful).
philba

Post by philba »

you might try the forum on the microchip site. its pretty active although there are a lot of people that chime in with out really understand the problem or solution.
Trejep

Post by Trejep »

Well....it seems that I need the Pro Mate II programmer regardless....Anybody have one they don't want anymore :D ? Cuz as per the Microchip rep they do not sell Pro Mate II's anymore.....grrrrrrr....
philba

Post by philba »

that seems odd - you can buy the parts but not the programmer? That doesn't pass the sniff test to me...
Trejep

Post by Trejep »

Philba, You are right...mostly ;) .... The Pro Mate II has been replaced by the Pro Mate III, but inherently the Pro Mate III does not support the HCSXXX series unless you buy an additional Pro Mate II adapter...as per their sales rep and the PM III data sheet. I'm looking at other options at the moment though...