Weller EC2002M

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike6158

Re: Weller EC2002M

Post by Mike6158 »

TRW- It's a weather acronym. I learned it in ground school way back when. It means Thunderstorms with Rain Showers :) <p>Apparently it's an old acronym that is no longer used :( Next thing you know all the songs that I listened to as a kid will start showing up on oldies stations :eek:<p>[ March 18, 2005: Message edited by: NE5U ]</p>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
terri

Post by terri »

Oh, OK. No dope slap for me, 'cause there's no way in the world I would've known that. Thanks.<p>Trading Acronymial Trivia (TAT):<p>BMF occurs in two forms:<p>(adjective) Big Motha Effing, as in BMF capacitor.<p>(noun) Big Motha Effa, as when a particularly large lightning bolt occurs: "Wow! That was a BMF!"<p>The nominal (noun) form is rarely used as an acronym, however. The preference seems to be to use the full phrase in this case.<p>[ March 18, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
philba

Post by philba »

and lets not forget TLA.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

I got a letter from Cooper Tools today. No warranty. It's going to cost just a little less than a new WES51 station costs. The WES51 isn't as fancy as the EC2001 but I don't need fancy.
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Edd

Post by Edd »

California:
Well, with the info given on your unit, lets see if this troubleshooting experience and familiarization with the unit might help in your checking out that Weller unit.
(Others as well, if they experience troubles and have same/similar Weller units).<p>Basic Construction:
The unit will typically have the main base unit with an AC line cord feeding thru a protective line fuse in its holder then on to a power switch and finally directing of the AC line power into the primary of a transformer that outputs 24Vac ~3A. The 24 Vac power is connected to a 3 pin female connector and it in turn accepts a 3 pin male connector that is connected to a 3 wire cable that ends at the soldering irons handle.
The handle consists of three concentrically arranged components:
· The outer solder tiplet retaining sleeve
· The center nichrome heating element
· The innermost temperature control rod element<p>The outermost stainless steel housing is internally chamfered at the front end to retain the soldering tiplet that is inserted within its front end, its back end is externally flanged to retain the threaded short sleeve/nut which screws into the heating element to secure the whole tube and the tiplet which is installed at its other end. <p>The heating element that is within the outer sleeve has a large diameter metal disc at its rear that serves to mount the unit to the handle with a duo/triad (vintage dependant) of captive sheet metal screws. The heating element proper is circular wound with nichrome wire and, on the oldest units, the connective medium was two wire pigtails used in conjunction with small wire nuts, on later units the elements flat nichrome wire terminated to two of three pins inserted into the periphery of a polycarbonate ring. Two adjacent pins made connection to the heating elements nichrome ribbon wire by a crimping action at the pins, the opposite single pin served for the ground connection of the elements metal casing. With the later designs, the entire heating element would plug into mating female contacts mounted within the handle proper. <p>The innermost of the concentric trio is the Automatic Temperature Sensing element. It is the thermo-electric interfacing responsible for sensing the temperature rise of the heating element to a specific temperature level and then cutting off the voltage supply feeding the heating element until a cooling of the solder tiplet requires a thermal refresh. This may be in accord to either the natural cooling off of the the tiplet in non use/standby or the more rapid depletion of heat by transfer off into metal / wire being made contact with by the tiplet in soldering operations.<p>Troubleshooting:
A test sequence to go through might initially be the AC line cord ...MOST unlikely... unless you are mobile with the units use, and doing daily flexing/winding up the cord after several years of use....but just mentioned it.
The next test would be the two 24Vac supply lines and the grounding line. Opening the console and getting access to those lines at the case as well as disassembling the irons handle assembly will enable an ohmic continuity test of each line in its entirety , at their wire nut terminations. Make connection with clips at individual wires ends to leave your hands free for a flex testing of the wire as well as putting a pulling tension on it at points where the wire possibly would have been repetitively flexed and developed wire fatigue and experienced an obscured breakage internal of the insulative covering. Also check at the plug-jack connections. The first generation of three connection plug and jack combo on the console plugged directly in, with no mechanical support other than the tensioning presented by the female contacts. The weight of the wire loop to the iron swinging would flex and loosen the tension of the female split barrel contacts...a source of poor contact area eventually. The later version of stations utilized a plastic twist lock mechanics for mechanical stability to solve that initial problem. [See addenda 1 & 2]
With wiring interfacing cleared the next considered item would be the heating element. The very first generation units utilized wire pigtails coming out to be used with wirenuts in the connections. The later series of irons brought the fine internal nichrome ribbon out to two pins on one side of the polycarbonate disc that they were mounted inside of. A ring compressive crimping action secured each nichrome ribbon wire to the pins. On the opposite side of the disc there was a third pin for metal grounding of the elements casing sleeve. The mating plug in the handle utilized three companion split barrel type of female connectors that could become problematic if any incremental oxidization built up on them. A round wood toothpick dipped in Brasso and then rotated + stroked multi times would clean up the internal contact surface area , making a final clean up with a solvent purging away of any residual Brasso.
Your final test area will be the innermost coaxially mounted unit....the Automatic Temperature Control element. For its constructon, consult the diagram below, I had copied from my old viewer transparency onto Powerpoint.
;) ;)
On the TRW bit....still a valid term...but you skipped the Wind acro- bit. Nothing like strong gussets of wind buffeting the fuselage around. Even worse , on your t/o or landing, experiencing severe wind shear elements , whereupon, your alimentary,gastroentestinal and/or urological tracts sometimes respond accordingly.<p>[ March 22, 2005: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>On the TRW bit....still a valid term...but you skipped the Wind acro- bit. Nothing like strong gussets of wind buffeting the fuselage around. Even worse , on your t/o or landing, experiencing severe wind shear elements , whereupon, your alimentary,gastroentestinal and/or urological tracts sometimes respond accordingly.<hr></blockquote><p>Well I sure did... It's been awhile since I've had to read a SIGMET or Surface Analysis chart...<p>Speaking of the X-Ray thread :) I would be nervous about helping anyone do anything with an Xray device. There is something about airport security and XRay machines that comes to mind. I'm probably just paranoid since the dude asked how to test an IGBT but...
terri

Post by terri »

Yeah, that X-Ray one is a stinkeroo, ain't it? Just enough anomolies to alert one's "Spidey-Sense."<p>Edd: Thank you so much for that article on soldering stations. I captured that for future reference. Jolly good show, old man! You ought to rework that a little and submit that to Nuts and Volts for a feature article. (Re-do it enough to take it out of the public domain for copyright purposes.)<p>[ March 22, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
California Techie

Post by California Techie »

Gee whiz if i cant repair my unit with all of that informantion.I would think that it cant be done. I will have some time this weekend and i'm going to look into it.
A million thanks
Rex
Deal

Post by Deal »

Nice posts on this problem. I have been welding,brazing and soldering for years and think Edd's reply about heat element oxidation is best bet (as it connects to triac performance). Soldering iron tips are a bellows of expansion and contraction and oxidation. They breath a radical language of disconnect and resistance. My irons often sit unused for weeks and between galvanic reactions and temperature workings, the first thing I do prior to wetting tip is to resecure the tip. Its all obvious stuff and I am sure Weller knows volumns about cures, but twenty dollars dosn't buy into any reliability market.
California Techie

Post by California Techie »

Sweet smell of success. Its alive ! I got into the weller unit and found the problem turns out to be exactly as mentioned. The control parts contacts were oxidized. One of the contacts was closing before the other and the other one arced. I then done resurfacing to balance them so that they closed together. While apart I polished up the unit with wd40 and emery paper so it looks new and I will use the brass brush as suggested.
Many thanks again
Rex