Website on batteries ???

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
connect21

Website on batteries ???

Post by connect21 »

It's me again rephrasing my subject and still looking for that website that expalains how to recharge all kind of batteries.<p> Thanks
Marc<p>[ November 17, 2004: Message edited by: connect21 ]</p>
Mike

Re: Website on batteries ???

Post by Mike »

You mean a website with schematics on chargers?<p>Because with NiCd/NiMh you just apply constant current/voltage.<p>The others (SLA, Li-Ion, etc.) need special chargers.
connect21

Post by connect21 »

Mike<p> Somebody, a little while ago gave the name of a website that explained different requirements for charging different type of batteries, I don't know if it had schematics or not. One of the questions I had was how to charge a car battery when in storage, for example. I left a car battery on 13.8 Volts all winter and in the spring, the battery was scraped. If you leave a gel-acid on 13.8 Volts, it will last for years, I have some that are 15 years old and are still good. You are supposed to charge a gel-acid battery at 2.3 Volts per cell. What would be the voltage for a car battery, what would be the voltage for a NiCad battery. Plus if the explain the chemistry in a battery, it is always interesting.<p> Thanks
Marc
terri

Post by terri »

Cf. "lead acid battery theory' question topic by windmiller.
terri wd0edw
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

You left a constant 13.8V on a car battery all winter? Chances are you over charged it. For storage think current, not voltage. Just enough current to make up for self-discharge (10s of mA).<p>The "normal" voltage of a battery decreases as temperature decreases. With a fixed charge voltage of 13.8V, the current could have risen to Amp levels.<p>Could it have frozen? That'll kill a battery too.<p>Automotive and gel batteries are both lead-acid and the same voltage per cell. The charge and discharge currents are different per amphour of capacity.
Dale Y