Age?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
greg123

Age?

Post by greg123 »

After reading on a couple of other bb about how "Ancient" most posters are, i am wondering the relative age of most people on the BB. Are most of us retired, working in the field, studying or in high school??
chessman

Re: Age?

Post by chessman »

I'm in high school, and unfortunately, I have to save for my car so my electronics funds are limited :( boo hoo....<p>Oh well!
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Well I'm still of working age - if only someone would employ me! :p <p>Lets just say I was at secondary school when Donny Osmond and Leif Garrett were the heart throbs of the day. And I had had started work when The Clash and Madness were on the scene.<p>Colin (quietly aging)
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Hello all,<p>You may get an idea of my age from the fact that I distinctly remember my first TV viewings as Neil Armstrong stepping out onto the moon and episodes of the original _Star_ _Trek_.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Ah! What a cute way to indicate your age -- by the TV shows you watched as a kid!<p>I used to watch "Ding Dong School", "The Howdy Doody Show" and "Lassie" ... that's "Lassie" when it was "Jeff", "Gramps" and "Mom", not the relatively new "Timmy". "Rin-Tin-Tin", "The Roy Rogers Show", "Sky King" and "Fury" were staples.<p>I remember when Hannna-Barbera first introduced "Ruff & Ready" to the Saturday morning cartoon lineup, opposite "Might Mouse". H-B cartoon characters had an interesting trait that cartoon characters had never had: they blinked on a normal, routine basis.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Shing

Post by Shing »

I wouldn't call myself ancient. I'm a 19 year old student in college. Miles to go before I can establish myself as a decent professional.<p>Regards,
Wai Shing
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

If you watched tv as a child you are still a child.
I was 75 last birthday.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

I am 39 years old. (And I shall soon celebrate my fifth 39th birthday...)<p>Seen on a pillow: "Age is a number---mine is unlisted..."<p>I attended the 1964 New York World's Fair---almost remember it. Remember fondly the cartoons and television of the 60s---programming was so much more innocent then. The ABC receptionist hung up on me recently when I did nothing more than recount the dialog on a "Dharma and Greg" show. I don't BLAME her. :( <p>"Pink Panther" was the best cartoon---he appeals to my ornery practical-joking side (and sometimes HE was the victim of circumstances, himself). I am buying some new glow-in-the-dark phosphors. It is SO much fun to go stirring in a fireplace, and launch a plastic orange-glowing-"ember" into someone's lap...
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

well, I attended the 1962 Worlds Fair in Seattle, watched Howdy Doody, the Little Rascals, Cisco and Poncho, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry.. I have put my foot in a gadget that xrayed through my shoe to see how my foot fit in it.. was in Las Vegas when Rosenfeld's car was bombed.. and lord knows what other great times were had back then.. "So much better of a time than it is now"... I even remember driving into southern Calif and seeing mile after mile of Orange Orchards and dairy farms.. no buildings for miles.. and back then they called it "SMIT", which was a cross between Smog and Sh*%... those were the days of high octane and really fast cars.. :D <p>heck, I even remember the race to see who built the first bomb shelter in their backyard..<p>[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: wayne ]</p>
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by wayne:
, I have put my foot in a gadget that xrayed through my shoe to see how my foot fit in it..
[ March 10, 2003: Message edited by: wayne ]
<hr></blockquote><p>I remember those, there was a store in London(UK) that had one in the childrens shoe department - I thought it fantastic at the time, sponsored by Startright shoes.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

I guess I'm middle aged. I can remember watching TV in El Paso on a 7" TV set made by National. The programming of the one station in town was either live performances in their local studio or a few old movies. The station was only on the air for five or six hours a day anyway.<p>I guess that makes me old enough to be "overquailfied" . I'm out of work at the present also.
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

ok, seems like i'm the youngest out of the group.
I'm 19 and in my second semester of college.
Going to class full time, doing electrical
part time.<p>Still a long way to go.
chessman

Post by chessman »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by unknown_entity:
ok, seems like i'm the youngest out of the group.
I'm 19 and in my second semester of college.
<hr></blockquote><p>
That's second youngest. I'm 15 ;) <p>Thought I'd let you all know saving my electronics money for a car instead worked out well! Just bought a '97 Camaro 30th Anniversay Rally Sport :cool:
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

How does a 15-year-old have enough money to buy a '97 camaro? I could use that kind of money about now...<p>And 15-year-olds do not make good drivers. I fully support movements to raise the driving age to 21. Remember, I was 15 once.<p>If you will take a little advice, Chessman, it's given in a spirit of love---and a desire to not see a 15-year-old headstone at the cemetery. DO NOT DRIVE WITH YOUR FRIENDS IN THE CAR. This is an ABSOLUTE. Certain characteristics accomany certain ages---it's just how we are. Teen-agers in cars miss seeing stoplights and signs, miss seeing the speedometer, their attention is misdirected. Did you ever see "TEENAGED-DRIVERS" on 20/20? They were all alike. Do not think "I'll be different".<p>Visit a salvage yard with your model car in it. I picked up some parts from a salvage---and there was MY CAR, same model and year and COLOR; it had been wrapped around a tree. And there it was again, slammed into a wall. And a third time---this one obviously pulled out in front of a moving truck. I completed the purchase, went to my car---buckled, and drove away very slowly and carefully.<p>Those people who had been driving my car's brothers, did not walk away from what I saw...<p>Always assume you are ONE HALF SECOND AWAY FROM DEATH---you ARE. Always allow 2 seconds (at LEAST) between cars, do not race stoplights, do not try to jump cars to gain ten feet and 1/8 second. Leave earlier. Signal---for EVERYTHING. If you pull to the curb to park, SIGNAL. (Fail this when a COP pulls you over, you get a DOUBLE TICKET!) Always assume some IDIOT is trying to HIT AND KILL YOU---often that will be RIGHT.<p>If someone wants in front of you AT ANY COST, let them. You will live; in time, they will not.<p>If you have ONE BEER (which you should NEVER have at 15, but 15-year-olds think it's "mature"...), then DO NOT DRIVE. Alcohol removes the ability to SEE your reaction/control problems, in ANYONE. <p>ONE BEER AND WHEELS IS DRINKING-AND-DRIVING!!!!!<p>Do not drive sleepy. The FIRST time your eyelids feel heavy, stop and buy a cola; the fiz and the distraction (and caffein) will refresh you. The NEXT time, pull off and nap. You get SO much rest when you are six-feet-under...<p>One time I DID fall asleep---the gravel under the tires awakened me. Many people have never awakened...<p>Just don't take chances---assume you CAN die. I know that a 15-year-old feels immmortal; but picturing you in a '97 Camaro Rally Sport just gives me a bad feeling. Remember my brother's high school buddy---his graduation present was a shiny new motorcycle.<p>He missed the prom, he missed graduation; he was sleeping.<p>He is still sleeping, at the same place he was then---the cemetery. This is not a joke, not a lie.<p>[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: gadgeteer ]</p>
chessman

Post by chessman »

I assure you, do not worry, I have already gone over the whole scenario many times.<p>I didn't get the car for speed, but I like the comfort of the car, the feel, the overall shebang.<p>I do appreciate your concern though.