Are most people here Electrical/Electronics engineers?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Jus

Are most people here Electrical/Electronics engineers?

Post by Jus »

Howdy!
I am a newbie here. I have a computer science background and have recently started to (enthusiastically) dabble in electronics. I have started by reading up on elementary theory and browsing magazines and books, and maybe soon an introductory course on robotics at a neighboring community college.<p>I must confess that most of the talk on this board has me stumped, at least for now.<p>For example, a STAMP to me is something one affixes on a postcard.<p>Are most of the people on this site EE professionals?<p>-Justin K.
MI, USA
2+2=5 for extremely large values of 2
Shing

Re: Are most people here Electrical/Electronics engineers?

Post by Shing »

I'm the idiot that keeps posting the Stamp (no pun intented) topics on this board.<p>I'm no professional. I'm just a student in Electronics. And not a great one at that.<p>This place is a great place to learn. I've only been here since February and I've already learned few new things. Highly recommended.<p>Regards,
Wai Shing
greg123

Post by greg123 »

Well, i wouldn't call myself a professional yet. I have almost compleated my B.EE degree and i hold an Electronics Engineering Tech. diploma. I have worked in the field for the past 5 years.<p>I agree, this BB is one of the best around!<p>Greg
chessman

Post by chessman »

I'm in no way a professional. I'm just a kid that has an insane passion for electronics.<p>I just have fun doing my projects and building things for people that save them money. It's a great thing to do. Fall of 2004 I will be starting college to get my BSEE, and then, in the long term, I plan to settle into some sort of mixed-signal design job in the audio field.
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

I am 77 years young and while I did take a course in radio repair (NRI) back in 1943 I never kept up with it. I finally got a pc in 1999 and that is one big learning experience after a computer that was in BASIC.<p>And sad to state but Nuts & Volts is the only US magazine devoted to electronics. Greybie
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

I have a BSEE (1966), and have been doing analog (and some digital) circuit design for 37 years. My 62nd birthday is tomorrow (Monday).<p>Ron
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

Hi Ron,
and I'm half way to 126 dammit (dammit!)
Been in electronics all my professional, and even more of my private, life. <p>There are many more forum sites, a few of which I visit and occasionally contribute to.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Best wishes Ron. Keep up the good work.<p>Well as for myself, I am not really a professional anymore. I completed a 2 year Physics program, was employed as an electronic repair technician for about 10 years, and now do design work quite independently.<p>You can see my rather modest crowning achievement at <p>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/switchmode/<p>As you can surmise, I am desperate for self actualization. :) But my main objective is to help others with what I have learned through research and experimentation over the years.<p>So just keep on studying and learning and you should be able to catch on. Sometimes once you reach a certain threshold, things just sorta "click" together.
russlk

Post by russlk »

Happy birthday Ron. My experience has been simular to yours, I have been working and playing with electronics for 50 years and still enjoy it.<p>Russ
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

It's been my hobby since around 1962. Six years in the Navy as a Communications Technician - Maintenance (spook), six years with Tektronix in their Oklahoma City Service Center as a bench technician and 20 years teaching electronics, 15 in OKC and 5 in Poplar Bluff (MO) and 2+ years writing the "Q&A" column in Poptronics (sniff!). The educational system has decided that electronics is worthless and that personal computers are the only "electronikky" courses that should be taught. So, I now do handyman work, since folks that are Ron's and my ages are literally unhireable (illegally, of course) since we're "overqualified" for any job. But that's OK. As long as the work is there, I make as much as I did teaching and could make a lot more. And it isn't necessarily a "bottom feeder" type of job. Right now, I'm working on the finish carpentry on a $500,000 house, so somebody must think I do quality work!<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

RON, HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!! & HI TO COLIN , RUSS, ED W., WAYNE, & (OF COURSE) DEAN HUSTER.
RON, I DON'T REMEMBER EARLY TV BEYOND BUGS BUNNY,BUT SAFE TO SAY YOU STARTED ELECTRONICS WHEN I WAS INFLICTING LABOR PAINS !!! WHEN I WAS 14, I DABBLED, THEN QUIT, BUT HAVE RE-STARTED IN THE PAST YEAR. LOTS OF CATCH-UP (NOT THE HAMBURGER TYPE). CARS HAVE BEEN MY HOBBY, BUT THE
FIELD'S ABOUT EXHAUSTED (OOPS-PUN ALERT). ELEC'S TAKES UP LESS SPACE AND MORE BRAIN POWER, AND MERGES WELL WITH MY QUANTUM MECH'S & MATH STUDIES. THIS BB HAS BEEN AN INESTIMABLE HELP TO ME. THANKS TO Y'ALL !!!!
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
russlk

Post by russlk »

Dean, it is a shame that a person with your knowledge and experience is doing carpentry, I hope you enjoy the change. I became technicly obsolete when my company shifted from analog to DSP. My last job was an analog to digital interface, and guys 1/2 my age were showing me how to design address decoders(probably 1/2 my pay too)!<p>Russ
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

I am not an engineer by any stretch. After 22 years in Uncle Sam's green card travel club (USCG) I took a job in field service, working on security X-ray and metal detection equipment in airports, courthouses etc. I get lots of great info from this BB and appreciate the time and effort people put into their replies. There are certainly a lot of "friendly experts" here.
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys. I'm happy that most of you aren't as cranky as I am. :) <p>Russ, I believe that good analog design engineers are still in demand. I think the demand exceeds the supply, but both are small, so you might have to move when you find someone who needs your skills. Of course, I don't know if you are even interested in working. I'd be retired if I could afford it. :) My employer has a boatload of digital design engineers. They don't need many analog guys, but for now I still have a job, and it feels fairly secure (knock on wood).<p>Dean, when the economy picks up, I may be asking for your resume. Of course, you might not be willing to move.<p>Ron
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

My background is computer science I suppose. I predate computer science, so I helped create it.
Sorry about that.
My first computer was a Bendix G15D. (Took them 4 tries to get one to work.) There were two drum computers then, the IBM 650 and the Bendix. Those computers predated operating systems. Every program occupied the whole computer, so it was very much personal computer. Each programmer owned it while working.
Electronics is fairly easy to learn. V = I*R and networks take care of most analog.
Now we can go digital right at the start and simply do arithmetic. Now each computer is your own. PIC microcontrollers take the place of analog functions and arithmetic replaces V=I*R.
The language of electronics is clean, and clear and the workers are good, rational people who love to answer questions.
Stick with it.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains