PIC-MCP-USB?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
divzr0

PIC-MCP-USB?

Post by divzr0 »

Anyone have any experience with this PIC programmer?

http://www.olimex.com/dev/pic-mcp-usb.html

Any other reccomendations for low cost alternatives to PICStart+?

Thanks
Newz2000

Re: PIC-MCP-USB?

Post by Newz2000 »

I have an Olimex programmer, but it differs from the one you linked to. Here is my opinion of my own programmer:
Good:
* It had a great price and was a good value
* It worked great

Bad:
* Mine didn't have the zif socket and the sockets included where very flimsy. Therefore I use ICSP almost exclusively. The one you linked to has a zif so this is a moot point for you
* you need to get some rubber feet or make some stand-off legs to keep the programmer from laying on your desk/work space.

I'd buy another one from them. I'd probably buy the one you linked to, actually. I purchased mine from sparkfun.com (they sell the Olimex devices)
philba

Post by philba »

Olimex seems to make decent inexpensive products. If you go the sparkfun.com and click on support, you will find a forum on pic programmers. there is some discussion on olimex programmers.

that particular model uses a 6 pin ICSP connector as opposed to the more common 10 pin (5x2) connector which is a PITA to lay out. sparkfun has it for $87. I'd rather have the 6 pin. My programmer has a ZIF adaptor + ICSP (5x2) and my experience is that ICSP is far far more useful. In fact, I never use the ZIF socket at all any more.

Unless you absolutely need the ZIF socket, you might look at the ICD2 clone they have for $13 more. In circuit debugging is a very nice feature. You could also make a simple little ICSP to ZIF socket adaptor - could even be done on perfboard.

If you want cheaper, there are programmers at sparkfun that cost a lot less. The advantage of the one you are looking at is that mplab can drive it directly and thus it supports most PICs. Or you could build a stoltz ICD2 clone.

Phil

<small>[ November 22, 2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: philba ]</small>
fripster

Post by fripster »

hi,
I am using this one:
http://www.semis.demon.co.uk/Pics/PICmain.htm

works great and is simple to build

just my two cents,

Da fripster
Once a WireHead, Always a WireHead
philba

Post by philba »

Basically there are 3 categories of programmers/debuggers out there:

- MPLAB compatible. picstart, olimex, others. these interface to MPLAB which drives the programming and thus will work with most, if not, all PICs.

- Standalone. these use seperate programmer software (ponyprog and others). nothing wrong with these, just requires you to go out of MPLAB to do the programming. But, be aware that the programmer software defines what PICs are supported and some support more than others. check to ensure that the PICs you are interested in are supported.

- ICDs. In circuit debuggers. sort of a subcategory of the MPLAB compatibles but support debugging as well as programming. ICD2 from microchip, the olimex clone, the stoltz ICD are examples. If I were going to buy a new programmer, I'd get one of these.

Phil

<small>[ November 22, 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: philba ]</small>