Video Camera Detector Schematic?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
gadgeteer

Video Camera Detector Schematic?

Post by gadgeteer »

Anybody have a schematic (or a weblink to one)? I'm wanting device that detects the HORIZONTAL frequency (15,750 Hz), not the "RF Transmitter detector". <p>They usually have a range of 3 ft to 20 ft, and will detect cameras that operate without transmitters (coax runs to monitoring room or VCR)...<p>Thanx in advance!<p>(Can we really have too many gadgets???)<p> :D
ad5mb

Re: Video Camera Detector Schematic?

Post by ad5mb »

Do a google search for<p>Tempest and "horizontal frequency"<p>Tempest is a military term for a team of people who do countersurveilance sweeps of secure environmemts.<p>see also http://www.tscm.com
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

Thank you, sir! I did the search, and found some pre-made-products (like the VCD-42 and VCD-43). Fine if you have $145 (for the 42) and $279 (for the 43).<p>Why can't I just use an AM radio, and change the tank circuit to be reasonant at 15,735 hz rather than 550,000 hz? Can't I just slap a capacitor across the antenna, and use the variable cap to tune it to 15735? A simple analog meter on the envelope detector should work just fine...<p>WHADDA Y'ALL THINK???
russlk

Post by russlk »

An AM superhet radio could work, but the local oscillator is 455 kHz above the frequency to be received. You will need to change both the coil and capacitor to get down to 470 kHz, then you will have the problem that the local oscillator is too close to the IF. A crystal filter IF might work. A better solution would be to beat the 15750 down to 1 kHz then amplify that. With a pair of sensitive headphones, you would not need all that much amplification.
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

I'm a little slow on "RF" stuff. Still kinda regard it as "black magic". (Forgotten the Smith chart stuff, modes, etc.)<p>Why would I need to change the coil? Why couldn't I just use
F(0) = 1 / 2&#183&#182&#183(LC)½ , and leave L alone but change C? <p>And how do you "heterodyne" a 15khz signal with a 450khz local oscillator?<p>I was hopin' that the ferrite bar would increase the range---the manufactured products have a range of sometimes only 1-3 feet.<p>Headphones might not be a bad idea. I have a Radio Shack pocket radio, AM/FM/TV(2-13); I can run a covert earphone, made from a hearing-aid-receiver (they call those "speakers", receivers). Took some wire-wrap insulation and threaded 8 very fine strands of magnet wire through it. I can be listening to a game or movie or talk show, and no one knows. If I wanted to "sweep" a room for cameras, it would be very easy to just wander around (hands in pockets, in case of sudden volume spikes), and I should be able to hear the tone.<p>Are there any circuits available?<p>[ March 11, 2003: Message edited by: gadgeteer ]</p>
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

BTW, if anyone's interested---I just built the 8-inch loop made from three layers of ribbon cable, with a variable cap paralleled; it works great. Place it next to an AM radio, and it really jacks up the weak stations...<p>(RS sells one of those antennas, works very well...)
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

gadgeteer, I'm interested in the video detector project. How goes it? Also, aside from the VCD-42, id you ever come across any other commercial units? BTW, never found the vcd-43. TIA
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

It's pretty well stalled, I'm afraid. I was hopin' to find a ready-to-go schematic. Not even on that Electronic Circuit Schematics page, which lists probably over 1000 circuits. <p>I still don't see why I can't build a non-superhet AM radio with a ferrite loop, and tune the LC tank for 15750. Any reason? The envelope detector output can simply switch an audio oscillator (since the detected signal will be constant rather than modulated). <p>To find the 43, do an internet search for "video camera detector" (which gets you all of the RF detectors, unfortunately); or better, search on VCD-43 (or vcd43). The 42 lists for $99-$150, the 43 for $279; the 43 is supposed to be more sensitive.
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

About two years ago I exchanged some email with Consumertronics (John williams) about a video camera disrupter they sued to sell. They no longer sell them outright, but you can contact them to "consult" & I guess, "contract" them to provide one. But sinse this was the company that sold "redboxes" for $500, I shied away.
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

I've never heard of a "red-box". I've heard of "black-box", "blue-box", and even a "silver-box". I have no problem using a video camera disrupter (would like to have a unit that disrupts cameras AND sound recorders); I intend to buy a CELL PHONE disrupter soon (to augment the sign I carry in my car, "HANG UP AND DRIVE!"); they are not legal to use here, by order of FCC. But if I reserve the right to not allow you to smoke (especially cigars) in my face, then I also reserve the right for you to not be driving 20mph and drifting from lane to lane in front of me. I also strive to obey the speeding laws, but have been known to run with a radar/laser JAMMER; it's not fair if I'm trying to obey the law and inadvertantly coast downhill exceeding the speedlimit (this happened once --- long steep hill, the detector beeped, I looked at the speedometer and said, "WHOOPS!" Braked, switched off the jammer and the detector, and waved as the cop passed opposite direction less than a mile later...)<p>I intend to carry the cell-phone-jammer into concerts and theaters. If I'm PAYING to see something, you are NOT going to take a call and ruin what I have paid for...<p>BUT --- rather than JAMMING cameras, I wanna know where they ARE. It is getting common to be spied on in public, stores, sidewalks, and at work. In the break room at work, we recognized that the NEW CLOCK looked just like a hidden-camera that we had seen for sale mail-order; sure enough the clock was wired behind with zip-lead AND COAXIAL...<p>(We know the clock itself runs off of a battery...)<p>I want to be able to wander around with my covert earphone, hands in my pockets, and hear the areas that are "camera-ed". <p>It would be nice to have a detector that had a range of YARDS...
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

I don't just want to locate hidden video cams, but disrupt any that I encounter. That is, if I'm walking thru the city, every camera I come within range of should lose pic. I am not public domain, and I don't like being photographed (no one stealing my soul :> ). My family members and friends dare not photograph me; why should some unknown entity have that right.<p>As for cell jammer, I bought a wavewall a few years back. It's buried in a carry-on bag I last used over a year ago. It's powered off mains via wallwart; a dc source would not be a problem. Range not great; for a venue like a concert hall (or in my case a 100x80 tradeshow booth) one unit won't do it (then again, in my case, it could have been a placement issue). Also, I've noticed that if I powered the unit up while using my startac, signal decreased but was never interrupted. However, if I turned phone off, then on, no signal. Not sure how much luck I would have disrupting other drivers' cell service. I'm gonna dig it up and try it in one of those multi-plex cinemas I normally avoid. Maybe next weekend on a lark. What's playing?<p>[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: geewiz ]<p>[ April 07, 2003: Message edited by: geewiz ]</p>
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

Fortunately (that is, fortunately for aesthetics, unfortunately for experimentation), it's rare here to have a movie or play interrupted by cell phones or babies. I've never had a play or movie ruined by cell phones; but there was that howling baby in the movie once. After two MINUTES, I turned around and loudly said, "You COULD take him OUT!"(Everybody clapped silently at me...)<p>Hmmmm--- what kinda circuit would jam a baby??? (DISCLAIMER: THE PRECEDING WAS A JOKE, AUTHOR WAS IN NO WAY ADVOCATING PHYSICAL HARM TO INFANTS)<p>(If CORN oil comes from corn, and PEANUT oil from peanuts, where does baby oil come from???)<p>But DRIVING! I really do have the "HANGUP AND DRIVE" sign (and "get off my tail", "TURN SIGNAL?", "TURN SAME LANE", "INSIDE LANE 40MPH" etc.) The signs work very well...<p>I would LOVE to jam the next car's phone. :D
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>...disrupt any that I encounter. That is, if I'm walking thru the city, every camera I come within range of should lose pic. I am not public domain, and I don't like being photographed...<hr></blockquote>You know, I just can't argue with that at all. I would agree with you. But consider the power necessary to fritz a video camera that isn't RF linked; I would worry about the physiological effects.<p>I think like that whenever I use my cell phone; it's ~850 mhz, microwave oven 2400 mhz, same band...<p>...and now they're using 2.4gig cordless and cell! The exact same frequency as microwave ovens! :eek: <p>...but fritzing the police dept.'s intersection-camera has a certain appeal; though the louvered filter plastic (admits light from the horizontal, and up to ±15°)would be much simpler...<p>Reminds me, I need to make more signs: "THAT LIGHT WAS RED!" and, "HEY---I HAD RIGHT-OF-WAY"
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

Was watching "The Sixth Sense" at a movie house on Post in SF once and forgot to turn off mny phone. At pivital point in film towards end, my boss calls. Upset the whole house to the point of almost coming to blows with a drunk; he would not accept my sincere apology. He changed his tune quickly when he saw me awaiting him outside; shook my hand profusely and apologised for his behaviour (he had thrown a garbage can at me). <p>BTW, I think these blockers are now illegal. BTAIM, here's what currently on eBay (a different unit than mine):<p>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... egory=3312<p>And here another guy offering circuits for a jammer:<p>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=268<p>[ April 19, 2003: Message edited by: geewiz ]</p>
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

Yes jammers are illegal here (USA). They seem to be illegal in UK also. They're illegal for the reason that someone's afraid you'll block an emmergency call to a doctor or something. I can't imagine the harm in having a portable unit that you only turn on AFTER a jerk interrupts the movie. And I can't imagine how one would be CAUGHT --- If _I_drop a call on my cell phone, I do not think "OH NO I'm being JAMMED"...<p>If you buy one, you'll need to make sure it's the right jammer for your area. Check out this page<p>I think they actually detect the tranmitted frequency, then jam just one signal. This would be easier than jamming the whole cell band.<p>As with most things, discretion is the better part of valor. TRANSLATES, don't brag about jamming cell phones, and no one will know...
geewiz

Post by geewiz »

Hey, that's the exact unit I bought from the same site. I see they have the 2.4GHz vid scrambler. Limited functionality I think.