X10 question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

X10 question

Post by frhrwa »

I use a lot of the X10 controls in my house. Had really good luck with them, except at Christmas I usually burn out a few.. anyway.. I have just wired my white plastic fence out front, it had the 1X6 plastic boards that made for a perfect conduit... I'd like to turn on certain outlets in it and a lamp post at the far end... The fence is approx 120' long, and its an additional 150' or better feed.. I can't get the signal to travel that far? Is there a way to amplify the signal, or increase the sensitivity of these units? Are there better units out there? Any help is appreciated. I'd like to also put in a motion sensor that would turn my outside lights back on (after they have gone off at night) if you drive into the driveway.. I have them all on A-1 at present..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Gary

Re: X10 question

Post by Gary »

Are you saying you can't get the signal to work out there?<p>My understanding is that it isn't a wireless controll, but uses a signal traveling along the 110v line. Distance shouldn't matter much.<p>Correct me if I'm wrong.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

your right and your right... the signal just won't carry the distance. It does send the signal transposed on the ac line. So, I can't do my automated lighting out along the driveway... :cool:
phurm

Post by phurm »

I have not used X-10 extensively but have heard of the following possibility. Hope I explain it correctly.<p>Most houses have a 220v lead in with household 110v being split across the two sides. X-10 signals are known to not travel across such sides without a special bridging device. If your controllers inside the house are on one side and the outside fence is on the other side, this might come into play here. Investigate this further and see if it helps.<p>HTH<p>Paul Hurm
[email protected]
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

thanks... I'll take a look in the breaker box and see which side the controller is on and which side the fence wiring is on... maybe I can put my other controller on a circuit that is the same side as the fence if they are different... it's always worth a try anyway.. I also found out the other night that the flourescent fixtures they sell to replace your regular light bulbs, don't work on this system.... I installed a couple in my outdoor lamp, came home really late and found my lamp pulsating.. really odd looking too... and, I couldn't shut them off.. so, I went back to regular bulbs out there.. :p I really wish they would come out with a higher wattage capacity unit.. I guess I could always make up a relay box controlled by one of the units..
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

heres my 2 cents worth too...they do make a x-10 motion controller that will turn on other x-10 units..i have 2 here..when motion is detected i have it turn on a lamp in the house to alert me to something in the yard...usually a strey dog,,lol but still serves the purpose...
if your good at mods.. you can hack a lamp unit.and adapt a bigger triac to the unit...
but if you use a appliance unit, i think they can handle 500 watts or so...anyway good luck :)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

oh,, heres more... speaking of distance.. here we have 4 houses on one pole transformer
one day i was having problems with my x-10's going nuts...on/off by them selves,,,after some careful investagation,,i found out my neighbor has x-10 also...so i played the game back,, i hit all off button ! neighbors house went dark,,, i ran them nuts for a while before confessing,, problem solved by changing the house codes on all units.his house was 300'away from mine.across the street..so you should have no distance problem,,,,unless you have some other wireless unit plugged in the house somewhere...as in maybe wireless intercomms ...i had this problem before too...stops x-10 dead ! cause signal is busy when monitoring,,, good luck
Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Most X-10 manufacturers make an isolator for your mains to resolve the problem of controlling your neighbors lights and vice versa, and they also make an amplifier to boost the signals also. I don't remember exactly but the isolator or the amplifier, or both may also bridge the 120 legs to avoid having to have all your devices phased properly. It may be a combo unit or a seperate device.
Keep Prying...

Crowbar
mhanks

Post by mhanks »

Try the "range test." If you have an electric stove, the oven is 220... turning it on will bridge the phases in your home. If that fixes the problem, you're on the wrong phase.<p>Leviton makes a filter/repeater... SmartHome has 'em http://www.smarthome.com/4820.html<p>I've never had the best luck with X10, but I've never tried the above box, either.<p>Good Luck
Failure is not an option. It's bundled!