LED tail light bulbs

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

LED tail light bulbs

Post by frhrwa »

and, heres another good question.... where can I get or how do I build the LED taillight bulbs (dual) like a 1057 or 1157? at last try, I found them for ABOUT $50.00 each.... a little spendy for me.. I just want to use a sealed unit that won't explode everytime I accidentally back my boat trailor into the water without unplugging the taillights... all of the great taillight units they sell for marine applications, well... they don't work~
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Edd

Re: LED tail light bulbs

Post by Edd »

Hello Wayne....out there in KJR land.
Ran into the same situation on the boat trailer lights some time back , however my housings didn't exhibit the marine type of integrity
that U had described........potentially........probably leaked like a sieve. Seeing that I was up against long time contamination/errosion of
the bulbs socket housing and its contact(s) , I opted for taking care of that situation with a liberal application of Dow Corning's heavy
silicone grease.....Z5. Next, for the cold lake water seeping up to touch the lamps heated globe. That problem was solved by the granddaughter's toy box. Seems like somethings? she got, came packaged in round clear lucite housings, the whole unit being a bit
smaller in dia than a golf ball. They snapped apart into two halves at the center seam. Taking one half and a little reaming of a hole
into it to just let the lamp socket pass thru with an immediate bond made with super glue affixing the two, then a liberal bead of
silicone rubber, placed inside and out, provided long time waterproof integrity. A final bead of sil rubber on the center seam and a
snapping of the two halves together and that was it. No problems since initiation in '91.<p>73's de Edd<p>[email protected] ( I n t e r s t e l l a r ~~~ W a r p~~~ S p e e d )
[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
:)<p>[ October 01, 2002: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

well, I thought the LED bulb would have been easier, but I may have to resort to this.. it sounds good, a little bit of ingenuity, and hopefull that the bulbs don't just burn out anytime soon.. the original light set that I had on my trailor had the bulbs mounted in a plastic bubble... not being familiar with this, when the bulb burned out, I spent a few days trying to figure out how to get the dang bulb out... I finally drilled a large hole in the plastic with a hole saw, took the bulb out, and of course didn't get the seal back properly... so, it leaked and blew each bulb thereafter... I have since went to the light that is open on the bottom... they say.. "water won't go up to the bulb because of the air chamber"... ha ha ha... not only did, but both sides blew out.. :cool:
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

Wayne,
You might try this website:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
They have replacements for the 1157 for only
about $5.00.
Hope this helps
Best regards
Ned :)
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Try rigging a float switch (normally closed)to interrupt the current to the bulb either directly or with a relay. Mount the switch on the back of the licence plate holder or any other convenient location below the lamps. Shield the float and switch from wind and road debris inside a section of pipe open at the top and bottom.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

now... that float idea has drifted through my mind before.. it always lingers there saying "try me, try me"... I'll wonder into that led site and check that, but I think I'll build the float switch also.. could just use a bilge float switch mounted and encased ... thanks guys...
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

I don't mean to be obtuse or hurt feelings here, but that float switch idea sucks. Trailers have lighting systems that are intermittent and dicey at best without adding yet another component that's guaranteed to be a problem -- a switch that gets dunked? Look at all the utility trailers on the road that have bad lighting and you'll see where I'm coming from. Folks pulling travel trailers have fewer problems like that because they're a different sort of breed who WANT their equipment up to snuff. The utility trailer pullers have that, "Aw, I'm only pulling it a few miles" sort of attitude.<p>It appears that Ned has a very attractive LED solution.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

your right.. anyway, I'll try the different led units out there and see how they survive.. I know that LEDTRONIC is NOT the way to go.. they sent 2 lamps and a bill for $100.00 a few months ago.. now they have the newer bulbs for $48.50 each... yuk... the $5.00 ones are more inline.. with 3 trailors, I have enough to test different types..
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

I just ordered 4each of the 1157 style at $5.00each... will let you know when they get here how well they work..
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

hello,<p>I like the look of those things too, but noticed
the following notes, and i quote:<p>START QUOTE
----------------------------------------
For aftermarket use. May not comply with SAE or U.S. DOTstandards<p>NOTE:
LED brake/tail lamps may not work with some thermal flasher units due to their extremely low current draw. These installations will require an electronic flasher unit available at your auto parts store
----------------------------------------
END QUOTE<p>The meaning here is whether or not the led's
shine not only bright enough, but whether or
not the angles of emissions are as bright as a
standard bulb. It could be so, but really
has to be tested carefully.
I would suggest changing one bulb first, then
having someone step on the brake and turn on the
blinkers while you stand behind the vehicle and
determine if, from all angles, the lights
appear to be the same brightness.<p>If they work as well as another bulb i would
probably buy some too. <p>Take care and good luck with your circuits,
Al
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

at $5.00 each I can afford to try that... at $50.00 each, they were out of my ball park... as far as the flashing, I figured the bulbs in the truck would trigger the flasher and the LED's would just follow suit.. now like you say, I hope they are bright enough on flash for all angles.. then again, I can put side markers back towards the rear of the boat trailer, use the bayonet led they sell, and trigger off the turn indicator lead... anyway, I'm going to give it a shot, still beats forgetting to unplug and having to replace the bulbs every trip... :D :cheers:
HomeBrew

Post by HomeBrew »

If you could find some like they use on 18 wheelers now days your problem would be solved. We have several trailers at the place i work which now use LED tail lights and turn signals and the brightness is very good. Again, they may be a little expensive, but they look great when illuminated.