480VAC Transformer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
WCE4

480VAC Transformer

Post by WCE4 »

Looking for a supply of 480vac 60Hz to 8vac @.15a
Transformers small foot print for a Printed Circuit board.
Carl Pugh

Re: 480VAC Transformer

Post by Carl Pugh »

One solution, probably the cheapest, but not the best would be to use two transformers. Use transformers with 240 volt primaries and 8 volt secondaries. Series the primaries and parallel the secondaries.
Signal transformer DST-2-16 should work.
www.signaltransformer.com
Good Luck
Carl
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

You guys are scaring me. <p>When I see "480 volts", I see a high-energy industrial circuit involving major 3-phase power systems where one little flaw can literally have a circuit explode in your face. I'm having trouble envisioning messing around with 480v on a PCB, let alone with a small-footprint transformer. Most 480v control transformers are 5 to 10 pound hunks of iron, and that for a reason.<p>Putting transformer primaries in series and secondaries in parallel could be inviting disaster if the transformers aren't rated for high voltage breakdowns. Once you put those secondaries in parallel, you're subjecting the primary-to-secondary insulation to 480v, not the 240v intended by the manufacturer.<p>I'd really not like to see a new statistic show up as a result of jerry-rigging something in a high-energy circuit!<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I go with Dean on this one. What specifically are you trying to do?<p>C U L -
Dale Y
toejam

Post by toejam »

you are lookin at a 72 watt 60hz transformer here.If you look around for a 80 watt audio amplifier tube type power transformer that will give you the needed output.plus a twelve and 5 volt winding.Those things give out outragious shocks and leave deep burns. I've been there.Unfortunatilly, they are about the size of a can od Dinty Moore's stew and weigh about three times as much.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

If this is for getting power from 480VAC mains, DO NOT use a tube amp transformer.<p>The high voltage out winding is not rated for connection to power lines. Even if it works for a while, it will "burn-out" eventually; and the insulation/isolation value isn't high enough. To be more blunt than Dean; you can kill somebody, or start a major fire by making inadequate connections to power mains. You also need to know if the 3 phase power is delta or wye connected.<p>Suggestion - Have a qualified electricion install a rated 480VAC to 110VAC transformer. Then you can use a PC mount 110VAC to 8VAC transformer on the PCB.<p>" 'Live long, and prosper' by taking care"<p>One more time for emphasis. Power mains are no place for gimmicks, baling wire, or bubble gum. Get the line isolation right, or die!<p>Cheers<p>[ December 22, 2003: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
toejam

Post by toejam »

wow i was totally wrong here! the tube amp transformer will get you about 480 v from a 110 volt line. as everyone is saying here, dont mess with 480 mains voltage that doesnt give you just a shock, it can easily kill or burn you very seriousally.I was wrong about the wattage, it is about 1.2 watt if you are determined to work with that voltage get an electrician with experience to check out what you are doing.
WCE4

Post by WCE4 »

Sorry it took me so long to reply to all of you who were nice to reply to my question.
First I would not use the first reply at any time. Second I am a Licensed Master Electrician. Third the project I am trying to design is a circuit that uses a pic microchip to monitor two points in an industrial machine that is 480v 60Hz single Phase. There is no room to install a control transformer and it cannot be installed outside of the unit. I have already used this circuit (it has been UL Approved) in other industrial machine that run on 220v 60Hz single phase. What I need is a small multi tap transformer that I can mount on a PC board. Thank You for you help
toejam

Post by toejam »

i would call newark electronics at 1 800 4 newark, and ask to speak with an engineer.
good luck.
tj
Carl Pugh

Post by Carl Pugh »

For best solution search different manufactures products. Thomas Register has list of manufactures. www.thomasregister.com
If unable to find standard product, I have used Signal Transformer www.signaltransformer.com 516-239-5777 and Stangenes Industries Inc www.stangenes.com 650-493-0814 for custom designs.
Be prepared to spend $$$ for custom design.
Good Luck
Edd

Post by Edd »

Hmmmm…… 480VAC, thats a healthy half a kilovolt, when I was around that level I always kept one hand in my BACK pocket and I usually used a clip to make connections when I could before power up!
For that miniscule amount of a secondary power requirement, you would be better off using a common control transformer. Made in quantity , for a price break, of an already qualified, safety approved design.
HIIIIGH power VOA transmitters would use male blade connectors at the PCB and their companion insulated female connectors on the 24VAC interconnecting wiring to the xfmr.
You should be able to work down from that 24 voltage level.
This unit is the smallest physically, that I am familiar with and doesn’t cost an arm and leg:
480V S/P VAC in and 24VAC out at ~2A.
http://www.webshop1.com/merchant.mv?Scr ... ansformers<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;)
upsmaster

Post by upsmaster »

if u can find a neutral, 277 volts is doable.
but to find the ratio u want may be hard to find..maybe using a regular trans former as auto former if u don't need isolation or can obtain isolation in a different section of the circuit u are going to use we use a multi tap xformer to get feedback for control and us pcb mounted to do this

joe