Digital Pagers - Technical Info

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
phurm

Digital Pagers - Technical Info

Post by phurm »

This is a hypothetical question – I do not actually plan to transmit on the frequency mentioned but want to understand the technical details behind the processes involved.<p>I have a “number only” pager that simply displays the phone number that the caller punches in. This pager operates on a frequency of 931.33750 MHz.<p>Let’s assume that I want to build a low power transmitter for this frequency and transmit a phone number to my own pager.<p>I would like to know details of what type of signal is used and how the data is encoded.<p>Any pointers to technical details would be appreciated.<p>TIA<p>Paul Hurm
N8OT
[email protected]
bwts

Re: Digital Pagers - Technical Info

Post by bwts »

I 2 would like this inormation also the format 4 moblie phone texting. But it seems people R reluctant to give it. I have thought about building a reciever to capture the incomming data and analysing the signal on a computer but unfortunatly this is well beyond my technical capabilities.
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Hunt down a copy of Elektor magazine from January and May this year.<p>The January copy has an SMS interfacing design and somewhere on their website is alink to the University that designed it.<p>
colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
phurm

Post by phurm »

Thanks, these two article references are helpful. Interestingly, the May article is downloadable from the Elektor site.<p>Both these articles seem to be mobile phone related. They refer to "SMS" as the method used for phone text messaging. Is this the same process used for pagers? If so I'm sure I can then search for SMS on the web for further info.<p>Even knowing about SMS is a helpful first step since I knew nothing about this type of process when posting my first question.<p>Any other hints from anyone on things specific to pagers will help guide my web searching.<p>Thanks.<p>Paul
kmagers

Post by kmagers »

do a search for a program called pd204 the authors web sight gives a pretty explanation also
he has a program called pe that generates a pager
signal all you have to do is tie the fsk signal to a transmiter on the frequency you want
good luck
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

Paul
here is one of many links.
Since there are so many pic chippers on here.
look for:
poc_code.zip A Pocsag encoder project utilizing a PIC16C84. <p>http://users.rcn.com/carlott/projects.html
mhanks

Post by mhanks »

Head to www.ramseyelectronics.com.<p>They have pager know-how in their company, including boxes and training. Might be a little pricey, but a great place to start out.<p>Follow their test equipment link.
Failure is not an option. It's bundled!