Variable 10GHz attenuator needed.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
rosborne

Variable 10GHz attenuator needed.

Post by rosborne »

Differential signal. Maybe 1 dB resolution. Idea's, anyone? Sidenote: How are optical attenuators made?
-Rick
Chris Smith

Re: Variable 10GHz attenuator needed.

Post by Chris Smith »

Both of those are a very broad subjects. <p>Optical attenuaters come in many forms, from fiber optics to optical grading, filters, chokes, interferometry and the list is long. <p>MW can be a cavity, choke, filter, electro magnetic, active, passive,... etc. <p>A big book, lots of reading, and still it will be a mystery, for sure?
russlk

Post by russlk »

What do you mean by "differential signal"? 10GHZ must be in waveguide, coax, or stripline where differential signal doesn't mean anything to me. Hewlett Packard used to make (don't know if it is still available) an IC HMMC-1001 which is rated 2 to 30 db attenuation, DC to 50GHZ.
rosborne

Post by rosborne »

Russ,
The 10GHz signals comes off of a PCB through 2 SMA connectors to length matched coax cables. The signals are LVDS and are differentially coupled. 100 Ohms between the pair and 50 Ohms to ground. I'm currently wondering if the signal is properly coupled in the coax cables, I think not which may actually be contributing to my current issue. <p>So if I can find/afford the attenuator you recomend I'll need two to do what I want to do. I actually wonder if I might need to have a differential attenuator or if one even exists. I must learn more. I know that when I've tried to find delay lines (yes they had to be differential delay lines) that work at these frequencies (actually only 2.5GHz) I was flumoxed. We ended up tossing the idea around that x*meters of differentially coupled cable was the answer. <p>Well, thanks for asking the questions. I think I might have some ammo for the next step in the lab.
-Rick