Calibrated Dials

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Nitro

Calibrated Dials

Post by Nitro »

Does anyone know of a source for calibrated
machine dials? I want to build my own machines
using acme leadscrew and need some dials.
Alternatively: a software program which would
generate dial markings around a circle, evenly
spaced, and of the number selected by it's user.
It would, (hopefully) be able to number or letter
the graduations at some(user selected) interval of graduations.
Thank You in Advance
Joe
hlreed

Re: Calibrated Dials

Post by hlreed »

Joe,
You can buy dials with generic markings, like
0 to 10 or whatever. To have a dial match your machine is a different problem. You can make the machine match the dial or the dial match the machine.
As far as marking your own dials in a pretty way
is very difficult. There are machines to do this, which is why you can buy marked dials.
Afraid this may not be much help.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
russlk

Post by russlk »

Ten turn dials are available for use with ten turn potentiometers. The dial I purchased from Digikey.com has 100 graduations between 0 and 10 on the dial face, plus there is a 0 to 10 counter for number of turns. Therefore there are 1000 graduations in the 10 turns. Look up 3462KL-ND on digikey.com. The dial fits a 1/4 inch shaft.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I've never heard of a program specifically for that but you should get good results from just about any good graphics program. I use Adobe Illustrator to make faceplates for instrumnets (which have included markings like you describe, though not on the knob). I save in the native format and the silkscreen company we use does the rest. It's not always cheap but it is professional looking<p>For prototyping and mock-up you can print onto an adhesive backed paper or film, then trim and apply to the knob or other surface. For high volume there are other solutions as well.
Nitro

Post by Nitro »

I found some handwheels at micro-tools.com
made for the sherline mills and will probably buy them, I wanted larger ones though. I'm sure someone makes and supplies these to machinery makers, I doubt they all make their own proprietary wheels and dials.
Joe