Suppliers

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
unknown_entity

Suppliers

Post by unknown_entity »

Does anyone know where I could get:
*A 10-15 Amp Variac
*A 20-30 amp EMI filter
*About 6000 Ft of 22ga magnet wire (Maybe from a local electric shop that rewinds motors?)<p>
I have already tried Electronic Goldmine, They have no Variacs and only 12Amp or smaller filters.
I'd rather buy surplus and save some money than buy new. Because i'm just going to beat the crap out of it anyway. If anyone knows of some places around cleveland, that'll work too.<p>[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: unknown_entity ]</p>
robogeek

Re: Suppliers

Post by robogeek »

You might Try contacting Skycraft Surplus in orlando, They do ship if they have the parts you need. www.skycraftsurplus.com
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I can't verify that these guys have exactly what you want but a few of my favorite surplus dealers are:<p>www.alltronics.com (San Jose)
www.halted.com (San Jose)
www.dalbani.com (Miami)<p>All of these have large surplus stocks only a protion of which is listed on their websites. You may have to call but they all will ship.<p>if you give up and go retail try<p>www.thomasregional.com
www.electronicssourcebook.com<p>Both are buying guides and may lead you to a better price than your yellow pages<p>6k feet of wire is very long but you might also consider spools of #28 wire wrap wire if you can stand a little more insulation and a little less wire. If you're making an electromagnet, insulated wire should work fine.<p>[ August 29, 2002: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

Actually it's for a tesla coil. I was going to make some different sized secondaries thats why i need 6000ft. But isn't there different types of "magnet wire" as far as insulation is concerned? I remember reading something like double or quad insulation.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Try "fair Radio sales" Ohio<p>The tesla wont need extra insulation because the insulation/ voltage / per inch of wire is low.
russlk

Post by russlk »

I think Tesla ran his coils at about 10kHz. You will use a lot less wire at high frequency. 60 Hz tesla coils could be lethal.
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

You're probably right that there is not a high enough voltage between individual turns to cause a breakout. But the bottom of a secondary is usually grounded so the turns toward the top will be stressed higher than those on the bottom. I've heard of sparks breaking out of the last few inches of the coil on these even after spacing out the windings and adding several coats of varnish.<p>The way a Tesla coil works it can't have an output as low as 60 Hz. But you're right it's somewhere in the Khz.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I thought it was in the 40khz range? <p>A spray laquer, plastic varathane, or epoxy works for most arking. Even grease and sticky oil. <p>
My tesla would light Fluro tubes eight feet away, with no arcing, and when it dropped in my lap, it felt like fleas crawling over me, with no shock value. <p> What you need is low current, high frequency, high voltage. <p>I ran my tesla all the way to 100 khz
unknown_entity

Post by unknown_entity »

Chris, What are the specs on that coil. How long were the sparks you could get off of it? What type and size of transformer did you use?<p>[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: unknown_entity ]</p>