IR remote control

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Chris Smith

Re: IR remote control

Post by Chris Smith »

Glass from windows will only attenuate light frequencies, [not radio waves] while passing all other frequencies. Because the garage has cracks under the doors and contains windows it is not "light tight", and almost all radio frequencies will pass under doors or through cracks, through windows and gaps, not needing to go through the walls. Walls and doors can be penetrated but a loss of signal will occur. The only way to keep out radio waves is know as "light tight" meaning that If light cant get in, neither will radio waves, but the wall material must be able to conduct electricity such as foil.
mustang

Re: IR remote control

Post by mustang »

Hello again Russ,
I guess I need to restate my question. My remote garage door opener opens my garage door from within my house. The receiver in the garage is about 25 feet from the house. It is an old system so I doubt that it operates a 3Mhz. My X10 detectors are mounted outside of the house and the receiver and the vcr commander are both in the garage. The distance from the x10 detectors to the x10 receivers is also about 25 feet also. My garage door opener works fine but the x10 system is lousy. Any suggestions on improving the x10 system.