Electromagnetic Information ....

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
hughesdevco

Electromagnetic Information ....

Post by hughesdevco »

I need information on the size of wire & amount of windings to carry a 45/55K DC jolt from an average automotive coil! :)
HomeBrew

Re: Electromagnetic Information ....

Post by HomeBrew »

More information is needed on the use of this wire before you can determine it's size. When it comes to voltage, wire size is not as inportant as it is if you were using high current. Fairly small conductors will carry high voltages very well as long as current levels are low.
hughesdevco

Post by hughesdevco »

Thanks...but I already knew that, I'm looking for the formula that will apoximate the size wire & winds per object...ie: say you have a 4" square iron object, how many windings & what size wire to achieve x # of joule's per square inch ?
russlk

Post by russlk »

You can get that info from these URLs (or from their catalog): www.mag-inc.com
www.micrometals.com
hughesdevco

Post by hughesdevco »

I'm still looking for the information on the 'electromagnet' as requested on 1st post! Thanks....
hughesdevco

Post by hughesdevco »

I 'now' have the information I required for the 'electro' magnet....NOW I need to find a supplier of iron cores ....... I have followed up on several leads....'but' none of the suppliers can .... produce what I need ie: core size aprox 4" square by 2" high .... I can mill to my specs.....HELP !
russlk

Post by russlk »

How many do you need? An electronic salvage place will have a transformer you can take apart.
hughesdevco

Post by hughesdevco »

Hi Russ & Thank You for your reply....at present I only need 1 or 2 ...still working on the proto type ...... I've tried the mfg.s but they can't supply what I need....most transformers...are just that....I've tried to strip & rewind to my specs, but can' seem to create a North & South Pole..any ideas would be most appreciated...the closets I've come was with a block of aluminum ...but we both know that will not relay a magnetic force...thanks again ........
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

ALNICO stands for Aluminium / Nickle, a very sucessfull magnet. Alum will pass the "lines of force" but wont remain when the force is removed electrically.
toejam

Post by toejam »

are you trying to make a 12vto 50kv transformer or a magnet?The amont of power (joules wattever) you extract from a transformer is how much you put in - efficiency losses. How much time do you want to maintain how much power? that will give you an idea of how big everything must be.
tj
toejam

Post by toejam »

are you trying to make a 12vto 50kv transformer or a magnet?The amont of power (joules wattever) you extract from a transformer is how much you put in - efficiency losses. How much time do you want to maintain how much power? that will give you an idea of how big everything must be.
tj
hughesdevco

Post by hughesdevco »

Thanks Toejam for your reply......I have built an electromagnet that works in reverse....I want it to 'repel' rather than 'attract'.....my problem appears to be that I have been 'unable' to acheive the repellant power that I'm looking for! Thanks again!!!!!
russlk

Post by russlk »

The problem may be that the magnetic circuit is not complete. A force of 10 lb. is not difficult, how much force are you looking for?
toejam

Post by toejam »

hi again
the only thing an electromagnet will repel is a magnet that is of the opposite polarity or something that magnet is attached to.I think an article appeared in an old popular electronics or science and mechanics magazine i came across about making an electromagnet for non-frrrous metals.It somehow induced current to flow through them to make them magnetic.I think.
tj
hughesdevco

Post by hughesdevco »

Thank You...Russ & TJ for your replies....first I 'do' have a permenant magnet installed..my problem is I cannot get the repelling effect on the electromagnet...it is aprox 4" od, 2" id and about 1" coil space..it is wound with #22 enamel covered wire...I have tried to reverse the polarity several times, added an electrolitic capacitor & still no results! If I could acheive the 10# thrust I would be most happy! I am firing this progect with a magneto (aprox 50kv) through a modified spark plug with adjustable gap! the coil I have wound has aprox 100' of the wire ! any help is appreciated...Thanks again!! hdc