Cordless Phone Linear

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
keymaker

Cordless Phone Linear

Post by keymaker »

Since I was 12 I've been trying to learn how to build a cordless phone amplifier.<p>Now I'm 18 and getting back into this crap here so I need your help...<p>I remember back in the days I had an outside 900mhz antenna with the thing you put over the base units antenna
Didn't do shit<p>How can I make an actual LINEAR AMPLIFIER for my 900mhz or 46/49 or 2.4ghz phones?<p>
I live in a town of 50,000 fools and the phone needs to go at least 5-10 miles..<p>I've seen cb's go much more with 5 watts<p>
Which band would be safest to run an amplified phone on? Is 46-49 pretty much deregulated kinda like 11 meters was back in the day?
:confused:
keymaker

Re: Cordless Phone Linear

Post by keymaker »

PS:
How much power do 46/49 and 900mhz and 2.4ghz phones have?
Where can I get actual NUMBERS and specs on transmitting power on both the base and the handset?<p>I assume it must be >1 watt, maybe, what, 300 milliwatts?<p>Does it go 1000 milliwatts to a watt?<p>(I mean 3 10ths of a watt however u saw it)
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

saw=say
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Could I build something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1322175847<p>I want more like 5 watts though at least<p>And, Won't I need an amp for both the base AND the mobile/handsets?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Ever heard of the FCC, everything you want is illegal. Good luck!
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

As radio/electronics enthusiasts, we often tread grey areas.<p>Lighten up fool.<p>Besides, Maybe I could double the power and be within legal limits...<p>Don't bother to be rude and annoying<p>Post facts... Don't say it's illegal.. Say what you based it on.
IE: You can't do that on 2.4ghz cause they limit you to x watts
Stan

Post by Stan »

I am a 2-way radio tech and what you want to do is more complicated than you realize. The output module from an analog cellphone could get you to 3 watts (I'm not sure how broad they are, but they are designed for the 800-900 mHz band) but you also have to use a impedance matching network on the input and the output, also a lowpass filter on the output. RF engineers are challenged to design what you want. Pardon my lack of confidence in your ability, but your command(?) of English stamps you as a beginner at best.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Id rather start a betting pool, guessing on how long before the two white vans park out side your home? I push the gray all the way to black, many times over, and got away with it, but Im guessing four hours in your case? Just a hunch? Chill out your self!
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

"I've seen cb's go much more with 5 watts."<p>Baloney. Unless you're talking about a CB going far only because it travels from point "a" to point "b" in a truck. The activity on the CB bands is so heavy that the noise floor is so high that there's no way you can get much over a mile or two without a linear amplifier.<p>"I live in a town of 50,000 fools and the phone needs to go at least 5-10 miles.." A cordless beefed up to have a range like that is going to do nothing but hack off 1/4 of of the town's population. If you live in a town of 50,000 fools and consider yourself part of the population, well .....<p>Get a cellular phone.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

It didnt take them more than a week to shut down a guy I know with a pirate fm station... And they dont even have a field office here in maine... ask yourself this, too, do you want any joker with a 20 buck scanner to be able to listen to all your conversations... all over town? Get a life, moron!
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I've pushed the line beyond black and never been caught.. Cable tv, Dss, you name it.<p>One month I made $30,000 at dealing DSS stuff and that wasn't even illegal cause I didn't fix the cards<p>But I appreciate your advice friends..<p>A CB though can go a long way without a linear.. I usedto talk skip with 5 watts and hit foreign countries.. But when you talk ship, sometimes, more power HURTS your chance of getting through<p>
Nobody can listen with a $20 scanner to a DSS phone
I remember the 46mhz motorola scrambled phones too.. I've had several. Love em. The neighbor had one and I could hear him with my ar-8000 but there aint no way you can use a $20 scanner to descramble anything<p>That sexy AR8000 brought it in without any mods<p>I miss the ar8000
JdOwNj

Post by JdOwNj »

Ok... DSS is one thing... there is no upstream transmission... it wont tattle on you... ANY kind of radio signal that you generate can be picked up... There are plans to decode encrypted phone... dont tell me that its impossible... Just like RC-5 was impossible to break... maybe a 20 buck scanner wouldnt pick it up, but the feds sure would! I bet anything that the feds have a nice little box that will decode any encryped phone combo... with the right program my beowulf cluster would decrypt anything in time... one other thing... i am not opposed per se to breaking the rule, but if you get busted for something llike that we can get dragged into it if we helped you... Usually it is just a fine, but if they caught you on ur phone and then go to ur house annd find, say hacked dss cards, you can get into big shit... "theft of services", its called...
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Of course, Anything can be decoded. If it couldn't, It would be useless. "Wonderful new 8.9thz phone for sale, Even the base unit can't descramble it" See what I mean :-) And of course big brother is always watching, But will they really notice a few extra watts on a cordless phone band??
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Also.. A cordless phone scrambled or coded is just a measure to keep most normal fools out.. A determined fool would tap the wire instead of going through all the trouble of decoding a signal
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Here's a question without answer. How can I LEGALLY make my cordless phone go 5 miles?