Ni Cad chargers help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Larry Woods

Ni Cad chargers help

Post by Larry Woods »

My friend wants to build an 8.7 Volt 1.4 amp charger for a ni cad battery. I said I would help him but I only know a little more than him which is "just a little" We talked about using a LM 317 T chip and circuit that Russ K. suggested for voltage regulation. Are we on the right track or should we do something different. This is a learning project so any ideas are appreciated.We see how to control the voltage but how is the steady current maintained??(assuming the 317 is the approach.)<p>Thanks
Rodney

Re: Ni Cad chargers help

Post by Rodney »

If you are relatively new to using NiCads, check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some good info on the feeding and care of all types of batteries. A very good site.
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

Larry, you mention a circuit for voltage regulation. <p>The generally accepted wisdom for charging nicads is that it should be done form a constant current source not constant voltage. <p>Reaf more about them before you proceed.
skrallman

Post by skrallman »

What about using one of the charge controller ic's?
The max712/713 are one example. They'll send you a free sample and there are several examples out on the internet of chargers people have made that can help guide you.
I've been working on a 13.2V charger.....haven't got it working yet.
Scott
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

Larry,
I believe I can help you. First I need to know the following information:
A. Are the batterys the fast charge type?
B. What is the ampere hour rating on the cells?
C. The number of cells in series.
You said 8.7 volts, that doesn't really say how many cells. NI-CAD batteries are rated at 1.2 volts per cell. 6 cells would be 7.2 volts. 7 cells would be 8.4 volts.
The recommended charge scheme is to charge the cells with a constant current. This is easily accomplished with a 3 terminal regulator.
Awaiting your reply
Ned :)
Larry Woods

Post by Larry Woods »

From yours and the earlier post replys I have been educated a lot. On closer inspection, the battery pack is a Ni MH with a 2000 mah rating and is a 7.2 volt battery( 6 cells). It can be charged quickly with a 8.7 volt/ 1.4 amp charger output. I realize now that the charging methods for different batteries are quite different. <p>I find this information absolutely fascinating and can't wait to start building.<p>Thanks<p>Larry
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

Larry,
If you want to fast charge the pack I would recommend you follow the link that Scott provided,as when they are fast charged, the temperature of the cells is important and that the charge voltage has to be removed when they are
fully charged.
If you want to charge them in about 10 hours and not have to worry about removing the charger when they are fully charged, I can provide you with a circuit diagram and parts list. You can use a LM317T, 3 terminal regulator.
Please let me know your preference.
Larry Woods

Post by Larry Woods »

The advice Scott gave is excellent and am reading about it. Fast charging isn't critical to me and the direction you suggested might me easier for me. If you could give me that information I'd like to try starting that way.<p>Thanks,<p>Larry
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

I figure you will need 14 volts DC at 200MA to charge the 7.2 volt battery pack. First off the cells reach very close to 1.5 volts when fully charged.
By connecting a 6.8 ohm resistor between the Vout and Adj. terminals of the 317T the current will be limited to a little less than 190MA. Adding a diode to prevent the cells from discharging in case the AC power goes off, the circuit is:
The + of the 14 volt source is connected to the Vin terminal of the 317T. The 6.8 ohm 1/2 watt resistor is connected between the Vout terminals and the Adj terminals. At the junction of the Adj terminal and the resistor connect the anode of a 1N4000 series diodes. The cathode of the diode go to the + terminal of the battery pack. The - terminal of the dc source is connected to the - of the battery. I would use a small heat sink on the regulator, and a wall wart that supplies 200MA or more at 14 volts DC or more as the DC source.
With this charger the battery will never overcharge. Manufacturers recommend for normal charging use capacity of the cells/10. I have found thru practice to use capacity of the cells times .095, then use the next standard higher value of resistor with the LM317T.
Larry Woods

Post by Larry Woods »

Thanks,<p>I'm off to get the parts I don't have presently. I'll build the unit you suggested and as I get the parts Scott suggested Ill try a quick charge version.<p>Thanks to all and I'll let you know how I make out.<p>Regards,<p>Larry
Larry Woods

Post by Larry Woods »

I have the parts for the slow charge project except the power supply is 16 volts /300. This was the closest I could get at the store. Is this acceptable. Is it like resistors where you get close?? <p>Do I need to to changes. How do you know what tolerences are acceptable???<p>
Thanks<p>Larry
desterline

Post by desterline »

Larry, first let me aplaud your 'do it yourself' spirit, it's the thing that makes america great.<p>But let me ask, is there a specific reason your building this one? Is there some feature you need that you can't get elsewhere? <p>The reason I ask, the specs you gave for the battery is the same as standard sub-c size packs in RC cars, there are litteraly hundreds of comercial chargers that are designed for this application. I personaly have about 10 of them varying from 14 hour wall warts that I paid less than a dollar for, to a full blown computer conroled one that retails over $200. <p>Learning is great, and I've certainly built thing I could have bought cheaper, but # 23-333 from the rat shack catalog retails at $10.99 and will do what you need.<p>
Good Luck
Denny
Larry Woods

Post by Larry Woods »

Thanks Denny,<p>You're right, reinventing the wheel isn't the plan but originally I couldn't find a charger with the specs I thought I needed. <p>Since I've learned a lot, even how tought it is to package the items in a decent finished state.<p>I will look up the completed package, but is rat shack Radio Shack???<p>Thanks all
desterline

Post by desterline »

Yeah Radio shack, I thought that was a fairly common slang term, but...<p>
Let's not forget the slogan:
You've got questions? We've got blank stares.<p>Denny<p>BTW; I'm not neccesarily endorsing thier charger, I've never tried it, I just pointed it out to show you how common they were. If I was to buy one, I'd probably look to ebay or maybe Tower Hobbies.
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

Larry,
The 16V/300Ma power supply will work fine. No other changes are necessary. The extra 2 volts
will be dropped across the LM317T regulator.