light fader or dimmer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
biemole

light fader or dimmer

Post by biemole »

i would like to build a light fader to control 2 different color christmas lights.. i would need to control a few 100 watts.. and be able to vary the speed of the fade..example when 1 light is dimming the other is getting brighter.. any schematics would be appreciated.. Please feel free to email me directly at [email protected] thank you bill iemole :) <p>[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: biemole ]<p>[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: biemole ]</p>
russlk

Re: light fader or dimmer

Post by russlk »

Do you want this to automatically cycle, dim & bright? How fast?
biemole

Post by biemole »

yes i would need it to automatically cycle.. and as for the speed if i could very the speed that would be great..
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Take two over the counter light dimmer switches, rotary or slide types, and connect a bell crank to both of them to operate them in opposite directions at the same time. The speed of a small DC motor can be controlled through a potentiometer attached to this bell crank, and this will be your speed rate of change, while the two light dimmers will flip flop the brightness control going to each bank of lights. Drilling holes at different places along the knob assembly will allow you variation [off set ] in the pair of light sets. The on to off ratio in degrees.<p>You can also add gears or pulley reduction to increase your full circle time base.<p>[ January 08, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
biemole

Post by biemole »

Thanks for the reply chris buti was looking for something solid state..
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Everything but the motor is solid state?