Volt to Freq

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
DRCT

Volt to Freq

Post by DRCT »

I am looking for a voltage to frequency converter. I have used the LM331 in the past (with success) but fount it to be somewhat temperamental in less than ideal environments. I have followed the suggestions in the data sheet to make it more stable but I would like a V to F converter that is more robust. If someone has experience with one they would recommend I would be thankful. It must meet the following criteria:
Single package (similar to LM331 with few external components).
Linearity 0.01% to 0.03%.
Split or single supply operation (+15V to –15V, or 5V to 15V).
Input voltage 0-10V.
Frequency output 1Hz to 10 kHz.
Any help would be appreciated.
Dean Huster

Re: Volt to Freq

Post by Dean Huster »

I'm just curious. What's the application that requires that kind of open-loop precision?
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
DRCT

Post by DRCT »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Huster:
I'm just curious. What's the application that requires that kind of open-loop precision?<hr></blockquote><p>A high energy (4-18MeV) X-Ray detector.
russlk

Post by russlk »

I have no experience with it, but have you looked at the RC4152? Available from RadioShack.com.