Component video to S-VHS converter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
rodd

Component video to S-VHS converter

Post by rodd »

Hi,
I bought a DVD that has component video output but my TV has only S-VHS.
Of course I could use the composite video input/output, but that would degrade signal quality.
Does anyone knows a circuit that would combine the y Pb Pr signals to generate the Y/Cr signal?
That would allow me to use the S-VHS input of my TV.
Thank you.
hp

Re: Component video to S-VHS converter

Post by hp »

Your dvd player doesnt have s-vhs / svideo out? Thats really odd for one that has component out.<p>I would just go with the composite video out on the dvd player if it doesnt have svideo. The reason why is because the component signals are designed for a tv that can support the high resolution. If your tv doesn't support that then you might as well use composite. (I can barely tell the difference between svideo and composite video on my hdtv.)<p>Harrison
Mike

Post by Mike »

What kind of TV do you have?<p>On any of ours - even the non-HD ones, there is a huge difference between composite and s-video and an even larger difference to component.<p>And on our projector, there is no comparison between composite or s-vid and DVI.<p>Rogerio, what kind of DVD player do you have? I have NEVER seen a DVD player that has composite but not s-video - not even the $30 models. Are you sure it doesn't have s-video?<p>[ July 06, 2005: Message edited by: Mike ]</p>
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Sorry, I could not find the pinout for what you wanted but there is a cable to do what you want:<p>http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?Sku=4901834<p>
(NOTE: This probably won't work in reverse. Namely you can't take a S-Video signal off a DVD player and convert it to Component In on a TV.)<p>[ July 08, 2005: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!