Converting VGA to RCA

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JPKNHTP

Converting VGA to RCA

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Mike

Re: Converting VGA to RCA

Post by Mike »

It can be done, but it's rather complicated.<p>In other words, I would suggest buying a converter box.<p>Or, if you need an excuse to buy a new video card :) then buy one with an S-Video output. Most newer cards, even my cheap 5200, has s-video output. S-Video can also be converted to composite (RCA).<p>I don't think VGA can be converted to component, but I'm pretty sure the opposite can be done. I have seen stores connecting component signals through an adapter cable to the VGA input on a projector. I don't know if it can convert VGA to component, though.<p>Or, if you have a newer video card and you have a digital tv/projector, most of the cards have DVI connections, and most of the TVs have either DVI or HDMI. You can convert DVI to HDMI with a little in-line converter. This is the best quality connection physically possible now. I use this on my home theater projector from the DVD player and the image quality is just amazing. I would try for this kind of connection.
dr_when

Post by dr_when »

Hi,<p>Go to Ebay and look for Scan Line Converters. People use them all the time with laptops to display on TV's or projectors.
"Who is John Galt?"
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
For VGA to composite video conversion you need a gadget like this one:<p>http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/PC-T ... apter.html<p>Or, to build your own, averlogic.com sells the chips.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
raalst

Post by raalst »

If you are hell bent (or confined to) making your own, I just learned FPGA's seem to be able to
generate VGA, so I guess they can convert it too.<p>It's only a vague feeling as I am just starting to dabble into that nifty FPGA world...<p><shameless plug>
have a look at www.fpga4fun.com for some nice
indicators what can be done with a $99 FPGA
board.
They (he, actually) gave great service to me.
</shameless plug>
Regards,<p>Ronald van Aalst
Mike

Post by Mike »

It looks like this would be your best/cheapest bet, assuming you have nothing better than an fx5200 and your computer has an AGP slot.<p>I have this identical card. It's not the greatest, hence the name FX5200, but it works well and has an s-video output.<p>http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getp ... rch=fx5200<p>Only 29.99 at zipzoomfly.com with no rebates.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
VIRAND

Post by VIRAND »

VGA is totally incompatible with television video.<p>A Simple and obvious converter method from VGA to RCA is a television video camera pointed at an LCD monitor. (LCD doesn't flicker).
JPKNHTP

Converting VGA to RCA

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless