Boost 12V to 60V

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Boost 12V to 60V

Post by Mike »

I need a simple linear(non-switching) circuit that can take a 12V power in a car battery and boost it up to 60V to power a car amplifier i am building.<p>The chip is an OPA541 which runs on a single supply or split supply.<p>It can run off of 12V but at that voltage would never produce the wattage wanted.
paulrevelcet

Re: Boost 12V to 60V

Post by paulrevelcet »

You may have already seen this site but just in case here is the url.<p>talks about dc to dc converters.[URL=http://www.maximic.com/appnotes.cfm/appnote_number/710]
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

Here is an example of a UBB Code Link:<p>]DC to DC Convertor
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

You cannot boost the voltage of DC without first going to AC as is done in the a DC-DC converter. I wouldn't exactly call it Linear since it has more in common with a switcher but it will do the job and is standard fare in most high powered audio amps as with a 4ohm speaker and 12V you could only get 36W and there are plenty of higher powered amps.
jwax

Post by jwax »

The simple, linear, and powerful solution.........
Add 4 batteries! :D
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

ok, well i looked at that site, only found a chip that boost .7V to 3.3 or 5V.<p>Can i build a DC-AC converter like i asked about in the other thread, then use a small step-up transformer then a rectifier?<p>I have the following transformers:<p>120V primary, 12.6V secondary 1.2A
2 16V 10VA doorbell transformers
120V primary, 12.6V secondary, 2A
a torrid with 12 connections from a broken switching power supply
two other transformers from that broken computer switching supply:
one transformer with 4 pins used to reduce 220V i think
Another i dont know what for but it has 10 pins. That one is made by Liteon.<p>Will trying any of those transformers in my 12VDC to 120VAC circuit be dangerous? I probably wouldnt try the Liteon one since i dont know which pin goes to which wire, but the torrid I can see both connections of each wire. Finally, the oither one has only 4 pins so it is easy to test with an ohmmeter. Finally, the rest are 120V step down transformers.