Electronic Components

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Vincent

Electronic Components

Post by Vincent »

I was reading through some posts and have come across a lot of components that I have never heard of.<p>Such as tuning capacitors, disc capacitors, and crystal resonaters just to name a few from the 1.5 volt clock thread.<p>Is there a good site that thoroughly explains the components I may come across? Layman's terms would be a plus :) <p>I also wondered what DC offset is? I read a few things, but I'm not getting a clear picture. Any link or simple definition would be appreciated.<p>Thank you<p>[ May 15, 2004: Message edited by: Vincent ]</p>
paulrevelcet

Re: Electronic Components

Post by paulrevelcet »

try this site to get ya going.<p>web page
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

At the top of the screen is the links to his tutorials pretty good stuff.
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

And here is a description of dc offset from the web.<p>The presence of stray dc voltage or current in an ac power system is called dc offset. This can occur as a result of a geomagnetic disturbance or the effects of half-wave rectification. Incandescent light bulb life extenders, for example, may consist of diodes that actually reduce the rms voltage supplied to the light bulb by half-wave rectification. Direct current in alternating current networks can have a detrimental effect by biasing transformer cores so they saturate in normal operation. This causes additional heating and loss of transformer life
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Perfect site...thanks.