New here

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Vincent

New here

Post by Vincent »

Hi<p>I just came across this forum while searching for something.<p>Based on the current threads, it seems very interesting.<p>I am new to electronics except for some audio amplifier repair that I do as a hobby. <p>Just wanted to introduce myself and I hope to learn some stuff.<p>Thanks
Chris Smith

Re: New here

Post by Chris Smith »

Welcome, its the best, biggest, and one of very few these days. The Magazine is also great.
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

Welcome, This is truly the place to be if you need help, One thing Ive noticed on some forums is the lack of concern for peoples feelings, On this forum there is no such thing as a dumb question, the more technically inclined are not condescending to those just starting out.
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by paulrevelcet:
Welcome, This is truly the place to be if you need help, One thing Ive noticed on some forums is the lack of concern for peoples feelings, On this forum there is no such thing as a dumb question, the more technically inclined are not condescending to those just starting out.<hr></blockquote><p>ya, talk about it,<p>read what the jerks at www.DIYAudio.com told me.<p>i mean, is 51 replies telling me my site sucks and the info is wrong really neccesary? they could have just suggested how the information isn't correct and what i could do to fix it.<p>http://diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.p ... highlight=
myp71

Post by myp71 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by paulrevelcet:
Welcome, This is truly the place to be if you need help, One thing Ive noticed on some forums is the lack of concern for peoples feelings, On this forum there is no such thing as a dumb question, the more technically inclined are not condescending to those just starting out.<hr></blockquote><p>Oh yea I noticed that too on my new crown vic forum. It's like all the can say is to do a search and I find it yourself. :D
perfectbite

Post by perfectbite »

The older I get the more I see how valuable and underappreciated a sense of humour is. The members of this forum not only have a sense of humour but also have patience and an astounding range of technical expertise which, to their great credit, they are willing to share. This forum is made up of a company of gentlemen and scholars. (Except me: I drool a lot and dress badly and have been known to belch and swear loudly on occasion (sometimes simultaneously)).<p>(I am an electronic neophyte and find myself reading posts and much later, when I finally figure out what the question was about, cannot find the damn answers because this an active site and topics even 2 weeks old have been picked over and dispensed with.)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome!<p>I looked at your site yesterday, Mike, and I saw you were going to have an audio amplifier project. I can't wait until you get the schematic up. <p>The only site I've found so far that has been extremely helpful is <p> www.bcae1.com <p>I'll probably have some stupid questions in no time at all to test how understanding you all are. <p> ;)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Vincent,<p>The LM3886 68W amp? if so, yes I have the schematic done, just have to finish the page and get it on the internet.<p>It sounds great for it's small size.<p>I will mkae sure i get it up there soon!<p>-Mike
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Awesome Mike.<p>Do you have a rough estimate of the total parts cost?<p>What impedance is it rated to put out the 68 watts at? What is the input voltage? 120vac or 12vdc?<p>Thanks for the time you put into making schematics to help others understand it too.
Mike

Post by Mike »

68W at 4-ohm, 50W at 8-ohm<p>the chip info can be found at www.national.com<p>and they offer free samples, so the cost of the amp is low<p>you will need a split power supply (+/-/gnd) which is a step down transformer from 120V with a center tapped secondary.