Microsoft Streets and Trips, w/gps GRIPES!!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Roach

Microsoft Streets and Trips, w/gps GRIPES!!

Post by Roach »

Anybody know where the website is to bitch out Microsoft??? Forums, etc??

I just loaded the stuff on my new laptop.. Not really that bad, had to tweek the USB port to see the GPS receiver,, but lots of fun. My gripe is that they need to tweek the accuracy of the software, to the tune of a 72 square mile lake that is missing in Nova Scotia. From 200 miles up you see it fine, but when you get closer to orient the streets the lake is GONE and isn't mentioned in the database.

Where is a good place to post this so the Millionaire club notices this at Microsoft?
jollyrgr

Re: Microsoft Streets and Trips, w/gps GRIPES!!

Post by jollyrgr »

Microsoft cannot control the data available from the various planetary survey. Where my house is at shows very limited details. Five miles west and 15 miles east are EXTREMELY detailed. (Down to the point that I found my car in the parking lot at work!) Most likely the close in data for the lake is non existent and therefore the software has to "ignore" this location when zoomed in.

Then again the lake you speak of could be an error. What is the name of the lake? Have you used GOOGLE EARTH, maps.a9.com, or similar web sites? Post the name and I'll take a look should you not want to load some of the programs. I have a number I use for the fun of exploring the earth.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
hp

Post by hp »

I use microsoft streets and trips on my pda and my laptop and haven't encountered anything like that before. Of course sometimes there might be a random small road missing, but I don't blame anyone but myself for using an old version.

Again, it isn't microsoft's fault for liscensing the map from one of the few companies that actually have digital maps. If you notice, when you look at maps on google local, mapquest, rand mcnally, etc; you will see a NAVTEQ logo.

Harrioson
Roach

Post by Roach »

HEY JOLLY,

The name of the body of water is Lake Ainslie. It is in the county of Iverness, north of Port Hood in Nova Scotia. http://www.auracom.com/lamarathon/mapstola.htm

Try it on your box and see what happens. Thanks,
Roach

Post by Roach »

And when I stopped into Staples today, they had this combo for $89.99. I paid $99.99 two weeks ago, I need to beat them up for the difference. Matter of principal, nothing personal!!
philba

Post by philba »

In google earth, it's there at 40 miles, 40K feet and 400 ft (though a bit blurry).

yahoo maps has it in their "city" view and higher magnification.

google maps doesn't have it at all.

I'd try it on my iq360 but don't have the maps for it.
Roach

Post by Roach »

Went back to Staples and returned two Konica Minolta 1400 printers. Dirty rat bast!!!!s don't put full size cartridges in their machine, for one, and secondly, they don't tell you. The hell with them. I am going to push for legislation that forces retailers to list the printers that don't come standard with the standard cartridges. Apples and apples marketing and sales.. Not trying to ban the sale of such printers, faxes, copiers, but they will note it on their boxes that they are only partial filled.

OK why post that nonsense here? Cause I also got the ten bucks back for the new "special purchase" price on the Streets and trips 2006 with gps.. One of the kids said he didn't care for this one and said that the delorum was better.. I used Delorum stuff when I tried to do it with my treo 180 GSM pda fone. The software was decent, but Handspring sucked when it came to selling me the connectors for the GPS module. They wanted to charge a lot and said that it was not a suitable use for the device. STUPID PEOPLE SHOULDN'T BREED!!!

<small>[ March 15, 2006, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Treasure Hunter ]</small>
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I have to echo what Philba beat me on. I can't find a decent map of the lake and surrounding area. Most likely there is not a super detailed survey of the area yet. My house is in such a state. My brother's house (built three years after mine) has much better detail but I live way out in the country and he lives in the suburbs.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
cato

Post by cato »

In fairness to Billy G., I feel compelled to point out that it IS called STREETS and TRIPS, not LAKES and DIPS. :-P

now... if you're saying the map shows streets where the lake ought to be, I'd say you have a gripe.....
Roach

Post by Roach »

No sympathy for Bill Gates. The product is either functional for planning a trip, or it isn't.. I have a piece of property near the lake. Would like to know where it is so that I can have an real estate agent sell it for me. But,, I have no reference to its location since the lake disappears..

Now, let's make pretend we are going fishing to the lake. We are going to stay in a cottage on N. Ainslie Rd.. (made up) Where is it in relation to the boat launch??? Don't know since the lake isn't there.> WHAT THE HELL KIND OF TRIP IS THIS???
cato

Post by cato »

What street is the boat launch on or near?