programing FPGA

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
paco3024

programing FPGA

Post by paco3024 »

SOME ONE OUT THERE HAVE SOME KNOLEGE ABOUT CHOOSING A FPGA? THE MAIN IDEA IS:
A) CHOOS FROM 60 OR MORE POSIBLE SIGNALS AND
ASSIGN A UNIQUE CODE FOR THAT SIGNAL
C)THIS PAY ATENTION SIGNAL MUST BE CONBINED WITH A UNIC ID TIME AND DATE OF THE START EVENT AND AT THE END OF THAT EVENT CONBINE THE SINAL WITH TIME AND DATE AT THE END OD THAT PARTICULAR EVENT.
THEN THE FPGA MUST BE PROGRAMED TO RESIVE THOSE SIGNALS AND PUT THEM IN SERIAL FORM. SO WHAT KIND OF FPGA CAN BE CHOOSEN?<p>THE FINAL RESULT OF THE SINALS MUST BE LIKE THIS:<p> {MAIN ID}{PAY ATTENTION CODE} {START TIME/DATE} {END TIME/DATE}<p>FPGA= PRIMERY DETECTOR
RTC=REAL TIME CLOCK
BASIC STAMP II= COORDINATE ALL TOUSE EVENTS IN
SERIAL FORM.<p>anu ideas welcome
rstofer

Re: programing FPGA

Post by rstofer »

Obviously, there isn't enough detail given to make any solid recommendations but I would start looking over at www.digilentinc.com <p>Their Spartan III Starter Board is quite inexpensive and has a lot of capability. Further, there is a lot of code over at www.opencores.org Pick from what is there and create the rest. The Starter Board comes with a demo program complete with source code.<p>By their nature, FPGAs are volatile. They will lose their memory when the power fails. That is no problem because they automatically reload from platform flash. However, keeping time and date during a power failure is an issue. You would need to add a Real Time Clock chip with a battery backup.<p>The latest WebPack ISE is available at www.xilinx.com and is FREE! No limitations - unlike the offering from Altera which requires a periodic license renewal which costs nothing but is at the whim of Altera.<p>Oh, and I have two of the Starter Boards. They are very nice to work with. And I don't even consider Altera...