Visual Studio 6

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Sambuchi

Visual Studio 6

Post by Sambuchi »

I have question.. is anyone aware of the capabilities of Visual Studio 6... I was reading about a project some made with a micro HC08.. and he also made a "Utillity" with Visual Studio 6 and was able to communicate via serial port to the HC08. I am still reading if he was able to FLASH the HC08..

Thought i would throw it out to see if anyone tired using Visual Studio 6 to.. flash a micro or used it as a input to a micro.
Robert Reed

Re: Visual Studio 6

Post by Robert Reed »

Havn't tried it, but you might get more response under the computer heading.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

I use VS6. There's nothing special there that will help you with mcu projects that I know of.

If he's using standard serial communication you can get by with any version of VS.

As far as I know, the only great thing about VS6 was that you can create standard executables in VB. After VS6 everything but C++ creates .Net executables.

However, if the project does use standard serial routines, things should work fine if you import into the new free VS Express.

The only other thing I might guess would be special about VS6 is that in that version of VB, it was very common to link to external controls and DLLs to get work done. In .Net, I believe that is considered last-resort and is not as common. Therefore, maybe he had a special control or dll file that made talking to the HC08 easy. If so, you should still be able to do it in newer VS, it just may take a little digging to get it going.
philba

Post by philba »

any micro that supports bootloading (which is what this sounds like) can flash its memory. Most recent PIC, AVRs, Z8, Renesas chips and others can do this. There is nothing special about VS6 in that regard other than, as Matt said, being able to deal with serial I/O. In fact, I'd consider it quite useless if you couldn't build such a utility with it.

Phil
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Thanks for the posts everyone... Matt, you pointed me in the direction i needed to go. He was able to re-flash the HC08 with a .dll ... as you mentioned.

jJust to support what you said... heres something else I found.

Thanks again.

Programming Library (DLL)

The optional HC08 Programming Library is a DLL which includes all of the low-level functions that allow users to set up the instrument and perform most of the programming commands and functions of the user interface from within their own Windows application. The HC08 Programming Library contains C written routines, and can be used to interface the instrument from within, for example, a Microsoft Visual C or Visual Basic application, as well as any other programming language that supports the DLL mechanism.