Is this display PIC compatable?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Is this display PIC compatable?

Post by Mike »

Is this LCD compatable with a PIC? It's only 2 bucks, but I don't know if it would work.<p>http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/p ... =5&mitem=6<p>heres the datasheet:
http://www.eio.com/l1671.pdf<p>thanks!
Mike6158

Re: Is this display PIC compatable?

Post by Mike6158 »

... Well... yes but it's not plug and play... so when you say that you don't know if it will work... work how? Stand alone? <p>Check this guys site out- <p>Scott Edwards Site<p>He makes PIC / LCD easy...
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
hp

Post by hp »

Looks like it follows the standard HD44780 based LCD controller pinout so it should work with almost all of the PIC compilers out there. Since you will probably be using PICBasic Pro you should have no problems using that LCD.<p>Harrison
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Yes, if PIC has 10 I/O pins. Data pins can be shared with other tasks if you control pin 6 instead of just putting a pullup resistor on it.<p>I hope there's more spec sheet somewhere, that lists the command codes.<p>A serial LCD would be easier to interface to.<p>((Got interupted for a while, in mean time HP posted))<p>[ November 29, 2004: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
Mike

Post by Mike »

Oh, so it would take almost all the I/O pins?<p>Would I be better off going with a serial one?
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Would I be better off going with a serial one?<hr></blockquote><p>A serial LCD (like the one in the link that I posted) would be easier to implement and use a lot less pins. A lot of the decision on what to use depends on what your project requirements are and what your budget is. IE how many IO pins your project requires vs how many IO pins your project needs. Would you rather build the interface yourself and link it to another PIC serially? That sort of thing.<p>[ November 30, 2004: Message edited by: NE5U ]</p>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
philba

Post by philba »

If its HD44780 compatible (not clear from the ad), you can interface it in 4 bit mode using 4 data and 2 control lines - 6 total. <p>The serial LCDs are easy to use but I dont bother with them because of the cost. I can get a really nice display for <$10 and its pretty easy to use. and if you need more pins, the next size up PIC will add a couple of dollars (not 50).<p>Many dev tools have libraries or built in support the the HD44780. If you are using assembler, there is a ton of code on the internet but you will probably have some frustrations brefore success (it can be a bit tricky). I dont have the link handy but there is a Seiko "programming guide" (iirc) that you can find on the internet that is quite good. google for it.<p>One other thing, since this is being sold fairly cheap, there's probably a gotcha. Its probably one of several things: no backlight, el backlight (requires inverter), contrast voltage (aka liquid crystal driving voltage) needs to be negative. Still, if it works, its a helluva deal.<p>[ November 30, 2004: Message edited by: philba ]<p>[ November 30, 2004: Message edited by: philba ]</p>
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Google let me down. The only link for anything resembling an LCD and Seiko was for a touchscreen and how to set it up (incuding programming). It was interesting and I saved it but I don't think it's what you are talking about...
philba

Post by philba »

sorry. I recalled incorrectly (iric, lol)<p>It was called Operating Instructions (wierd name).<p>Here's a link
http://eet.etec.wwu.edu/CPU12/SkoLCD.pdf<p>Note that even though it says its for seiko products, it applies to all hd44780 based LCDs.<p>Google didn't let you down, you just didn't ask the right question!<p>[ December 01, 2004: Message edited by: philba ]</p>
Mike

Post by Mike »

thanks to everybody.<p>philba, where do you buy those $10 serial LCDs? Once I get my programmer up and working, I'd love to experiment with some LCD stuff.<p>Either way, I ordered the one from electronics goldmine, because you aren't losing much at $2.50.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Great PDF Philba... Thanks a ton!
philba

Post by philba »

You can get the low cost LCDs at all the usual suspect places: goldmine and all electronics are two that spring to mind. goldmine has a 12x2 ($8) with backlight that I bought a while ago (for 2 buck cheaper). it works good. All has 7 for under $10 and quite a few more a little above $10. <p>There are always a lot of them for sale on ebay.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Philba (or anyone else that can answer this)-<p>I've got an old Radioshack PRO-34 scanner. The LCD display got cracked when it fell off of a shelf a few years ago. :( I held onto it hoping that I could get another one from Radshack but they discontinued this model a long time ago and parts (the screen anyway) are no longer available. It doesn't look like a standard LCD. Standard meaning what I've seen in the robotics/hobby industry. There are no pins. Just a square rubber strip that runs along the bottom of the LCD. The strip has a dark rib running through the middle of it and even under magnification it appears to be solid (though I know that it can't be solid if it's the conductor) The glass of the LCD has what appears to be contact points on it and the board has pads for the opposite side to connect to. 29 of them to be exact.<p>Any idea of what it (LCD) is and if I can find a replacement for it? And how in the heck does it "mount"?<p>Thanks<p>Mike
philba

Post by philba »

Well, I can't help you with the display but it much have contacts somewher. I suppose you could figure out the pinout by watching the lines with a scope (and some good guessing) and then, using a PIC or AVR, emulate the LCD. On the other hand, what does a scanner cost these days? <p>Also, have you looked for used units?
Mike

Post by Mike »

I think he's referring to this:<p>http://www.strongsignals.net/access/con ... ro-34.html<p>Not a PC image scanner. those are dirt cheap now, and a lot better than old ones.