Led Constant Current driver help

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Tparker

Led Constant Current driver help

Post by Tparker »

I need some help in designing a circuit to add to constant current LED driver module available here. http://www.leddynamics.com/LuxDrive/Page_Buck.html I want to use a single 5 watt Luxeon Star LED as a tail/stop/turn signal. When the tail/running lights are turned on the output from the module would be reduced to say 350 ma. by adding a fixed resistance between the control and Ref. pins And when the stop/turn is activated, the resistance would be removed to get the full 700 ma. output. I am having trouble visualizing what I would need to accomplish this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Edd

Re: Led Constant Current driver help

Post by Edd »

One thought……Looking at your modules Da Da sheet fig 9 how about using a 5 k pot and finding the resistances settings required for getting the two current values desired and then measuring the resistance values required so that two fixed resistances can then be incorporated in the pots place and then use a 12v coil reed relay to make its reed switch shunt the resistor that shifts the modules output to the higher current level. One end of the the reeds coil is grounded and the other lead is connected to the cathodes of two 1N4002 steering diodes and the separate anodes go to the stop light line and respective turn signal indicator. Minumal component use and maximum interfacing isolation. Reliability ……..reed relays used to be the workhouse components in telephone switching operations with millions of operations MTBF. <p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

Edd,<p> Thought about using relay, but had reliability issues. But I guess its better to KISS. I think I can get by with one DPST relay, one resistor, and 2 diodes. The resistor would be wired to the NC contacts to reduce current drive to the LED when park/running lights were selected. When Stop/Turn signal was present, relay would pull-in opening circuit and allowing LED to go to full brightness.
Edd

Post by Edd »

You noticed initially,thats why I was sure to harp on the reliability issue, since the reed units contact components are hermetically sealed in glass. Gold contacts and the current carrying issue at the levels involved certainly wont be a problem. Thats where problems usually creep up if they experience them, the level of current used on the reeds contact points.
73's de Edd<p>[ April 20, 2004: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Have you seen Figure 12 of the page you gave the link for? The pot sets low current, when the transistor is on it shorts around the pot.
Dale Y
jwax

Post by jwax »

Don't forget the capacitor shown in Fig. 17, too!
WA2RBA
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

Dale Y,<p>I saw that but I am not sure how that helps in my situation. When the transistor is on you say it shorts the cntrl/ref. circuit, the way I see it that would turn the current off. Not sure what i would be gaining?
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

Dale Y,<p>I saw that but I am not sure how that helps in my situation. When the transistor is on you say it shorts the cntrl/ref. circuit, the way I see it that would turn the current off. Not sure what i would be gaining?
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Hummmm oh-oh. Oh yeah, then put the transistor in series with the pot instead of parallel.
Dale Y