BPF design

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
david753

BPF design

Post by david753 »

I am going to design a BPF, the center is 26MHZ, span is 2MHZ.
After using ADS, I got the result at folling link.
http://homepage14.seed.net.tw/web@1/t0284754/26m.doc
But, I found the value of L2 is 9UF.
How can I make it?
which type core? and how many turns?
k7elp60

Re: BPF design

Post by k7elp60 »

I think you have a typo, it should be 9uH. or about 9 microhenry. I would go the the Mouser cataloge and buy a adjustable one that has a nominal value that you want.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Just google on "inductor design" and you will get many hits. Some pages just had formulas, others had tables or calculators but......<p>It soon became apparent to me that one could design a family of inductors all with the same value but with different shapes.<p>One formula I found:
L=D^2*N/1000(18*D+40*CL)<p>L=inductance
D=average diameter of coil
N=Number of turns
CL-Coil Length<p>Looking deeper, it seems one might want to keep N to a minimum to keep the total wire length minimal to reduce the DC resistance. <p>but are there any other gudelines for optimizing D and CL other than the space you have to mount it and the ease of assembly (for example if it is easy to use a pencil as a form, that would dictate the D)<p>Are there any frequency domain consiquences to designing one way as opposed to an equivilent shape? Is L constant for all frequencies. Does shape effect this property or any others.<p>I know adding a solid core increases inductance depending on the permitivity of the metal in the core making the formula more complicated. For now I just want to understand air core coils a bit better.<p>Perhaps someone can outline the thought process that they use for designing the specifics of an inductor.
russlk

Post by russlk »

I have use this equation for solonoid coils with good success:
L (microhenries) = ((n^2)*r^2)/(9*r + 10*l)
n = number of turns
r = radius of coil (1/2 diameter)
l = length of winding<p>Keep in mind that the leads of the coil are also part of the inductance which is not included in the equation!