Whitfield Pellet Stove, Motor Won't Start!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
crazylady

Whitfield Pellet Stove, Motor Won't Start!

Post by crazylady »

Dear All, if any one can help me, I would really appreciate it! We have a Whitfield Advantage 11 pellet stove. When you push in the start button,the motor won't come on. We just got it a week ago, and we no absolutly nothing about it, except, we love it, when it is runnng. Thank you, for any help, that any one can give us. God Bless, Faith :)
Faith
dr_when

Re: Whitfield Pellet Stove, Motor Won't Start!

Post by dr_when »

As the commercial goes: "plug it in, plug it in..."
"Who is John Galt?"
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

If we can have a specific category on the N&V Forums for Tetsujin, surely we can have one for Whitfield Pellet Stoves. They seem to be a continuing topic of conversation. :) <p>Actually, "Whitfield Pellet Stoves" would be a lousy category. It should be "Pellet Stoves" in general. After all, I have one that was given to me and is in storage right now and in unknown condition. I'm sure that I'll be needing help getting the thing going when I get it out. Mine's a Winston brand, and best I can tell, the company went out of business before they ever started!<p>Dean<p>[ January 29, 2005: Message edited by: Dean Huster ]</p>
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

sorry guys.. I really am... never thought it would come to this.. a simple question and all..
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Till I recently joined this forum had never heard of a "pellet stove". 'Cept I once read somewhere that cowboys out on the range burned buffalo "pellets" to cook their food and for warmth at night..
"if it's not another it's one thing."
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

After only one week, call the store or the installer if dr_when's advice doesn't help.<p>You can get good tips here, but if you take a screwdriver to it yourself you'll void any warranty.
Dale Y
mrwizard49

Post by mrwizard49 »

Buffalo pellets? Don't you mean chips? The only animals I know that drop pellets are rabbits and goats. Find the fan sensor near the top of the stove and jumper over it to see if the fan works. Other than that, you just may not be getting it hot enough to turn on the fan. It won't come on until a certain temperature is reached so it doesn't blow cold air. Maybe the pellets are too fresh and don't burn hot enough. lol
what the heck?
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

No disrespect to Tennessee, mrwizard49, but we got goats in Alabama who drop pellets big as buffalo chips. :) <p>Whar the heck kin I find one of them thar Whitield Stoves anyways?<p>[ February 04, 2005: Message edited by: jimandy ]</p>
"if it's not another it's one thing."
bigtowers

Post by bigtowers »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by crazylady:
Dear All, if any one can help me, I would really appreciate it! We have a Whitfield Advantage 11 pellet stove. When you push in the start button,the motor won't come on. We just got it a week ago, and we no absolutly nothing about it, except, we love it, when it is runnng. Thank you, for any help, that any one can give us. God Bless, Faith :) <hr></blockquote>When you say “the motor won’t come on,” do you mean just the blowers, or everything? Do you see any lights on the control panel when you press the “start” button, or is that panel completely dead? After you’ve confirmed that the power cord is ok, and there’s AC power going into the controller, it appears that the controller board itself would be suspect if the entire stove is dead. If there’s any life at all in the stove when you press the start button (even if you have an optional external thermostat), there’s a handful of troubleshooting steps to determine if the vacuum or limit switches (or even the blower motors, though less likely) may have failed (they’re a lot cheaper than replacing the controller board).