AM Stereo

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Scott

AM Stereo

Post by Bob Scott »

AM was going stereo about 25 years ago with several technically differing broadcast specifications from Motorola, Khan, etc. on different stations.<p>I have not been following the results. What happened? I don't see amyone talking about AM stereo anymore. All I can seem to find on the AM dial are voice programs with political ranting, especially right wing ranting.<p>Bob :cool:
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
Chris Smith

Re: AM Stereo

Post by Chris Smith »

AND?...........???????
Your waiting for the NEO cons to take over? <p>Wake up, the Neo cons have control of the white house and the senate,.... a mere17% of the country is in control of your life, so I hope you like the 12th century?<p> It happened on your watch, ZZZZZZZZZZZ<p>Oops Did I wake you?<p>Sinclair broadcasting and the secretary of state's son, [collin powell son says...] <p> There Will be no truth forthcoming,... “animal house dictate” number one?<p>[ August 09, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>
philba

Post by philba »

Well, even ignoring the fact that the original poster is from Canada, that was one truely off-topic response. <p>By the way, last time I looked the Secretary of State's last name wasn't Powell...<p>[ August 10, 2005: Message edited by: philba ]</p>
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

With the emergence of digital cable & satellite music services, ipod downloads, etc. there seems to be very little point in inve$ting in AM stereo. Newer technologies have passed it by.
The fact that Rush Limbaugh can create a successful radio talk show but Al Franken cannot has absolutely nothing to do with signal transmission technology.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

The radio that came with my 1985 VW Golf had AM stereo capability, which really surprised me. I guess it was able to decode all the existing standards at the time. Actually, that was the finest radio I've ever had in a vehicle as far as it's technical capabilities went. Actually, that little diesel was the finest car I've ever owned. I loved that little guy. It just couldn't withstand my daughter and her penchant for burying the speedometer and overreving the engine.<p>I never thought that Al Franken was funny as a comedian. I still haven't seen where he's yet found his niche.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Nice post-The guy asks for technical info on an electronic subject, which by the way, is what this forum is all about, and all he gets is personal opinions on politics. How far off the post subject should we get?
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Search and read about IBOC -In Band On Channel-; or now called HD -High Definition- radio.<p>We manufacture the IBOC/HD audio processing equipment at my workplace (it's my daily spoon); and it is sort of a transitional era; with the typical [If receivers are not built, why transmitting?] and [If few transmit that way, why building receivers?] <p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Ah, but Robert, didn't you notice that Bob's original post consisted of Part A (the technical material about the status of AM stereo) and Part B (the political comment about the subject material on the AM broadcast band)? Therefore, the answers which follow will address the areas with which the posters are most "knowledgeable", for either Part A or Part B or both.<p>Religion and politics are two subjects that will cause a flurry of responses on any forum if broached in even the slightest way.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Was it Khan, or Quam? Or both?
There's little doubt that the differing broadcast standards played a part in AM stereo dying on the vine. My opinion tends toward making multimedia convergence a catalyst in finally getting real HDTV progress. They beat on those standards for over a decade.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Whatever your political stripe, AM radio has largely been taken over by talk programming. SO who cares if it is in stereo? I thought from the start that stereo AM was a solution looking for a problem. it quietly went away. I think satellite radio will be far more likely to hold the consumers interest than AM stereo.
peter-f

Post by peter-f »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by sofaspud:
...There's little doubt that the differing broadcast standards played a part in AM stereo dying on the vine. My opinion tends toward making multimedia convergence a catalyst in finally getting real HDTV progress. They beat on those standards for over a decade.<hr></blockquote><p>That said, the 'standards' that are investigated should be well documented... for both abilities and limitations.
When the Apollo program landed on the moon, they had a (then current) bulky B&W camera... it was (IIRC) Apollo 15 that took the first color camera... and it used the defunct 'color wheel' system... because it weighed less. (Too bad the astronauts burned it out when they accidentally aimed it at the sun!)
thesprocket

Post by thesprocket »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ROBERT REED:
Nice post-The guy asks for technical info on an electronic subject, which by the way, is what this forum is all about, and all he gets is personal opinions on politics. How far off the post subject should we get?<hr></blockquote><p>I am quite sure "the guy" trolled for the political sentiment that has taken over his thread by including his derogatory observation that much of AM radio content is Right Wing ranting.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Well - you fellas must be right in your replies to my reply, mainly because I don't see Bob Scott complaining. :)