Ring Tones and Graphics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jollyrgr

Ring Tones and Graphics

Post by jollyrgr »

How do I download ring tones and graphics to a cell phone? I have a Nokia 3360 and want to replace the graphic from the carrier with my own graphic. I also want to create and download my own ring tones. <p>On some phones this is done at special web sites. I do not want to subscribe/purchase and DL things, that I know how to do. I want to create my own ring tone and send it to my phone. The graphic is only of secondary importance. Uploading to a web site is not a problem. Creating the graphics is not the problem. How do I use my phone to tell it to navigate to a web site and DL it? Do I need to e-mail the phone with a special header in the e-mail or what?
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
haklesup

Re: Ring Tones and Graphics

Post by haklesup »

Dial 611 and ask the customer service rep from your cell phone company. I had a few questions about a different phone that were poorly explained in the manual and they were helpful
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

No, that is not quite what I want to do. That and the pay sites I know how to use. The graphics and ring tones are sent to the phone via SMS (Small Messaging System). There is a way to do this via computer and modem. I can find plenty of programs to convert MIDI and WAV files to ring tones. But then you must upload these to web pages where they are then sent to your phone; for a fee. I do not want to give out my phone # to some web page. I want to find the program or web navigation tool that allows me to send the file directly to my phone. So far I have found hints to doing this one of two ways; via ordinary modem with software. Or by using text messaging. Unfortunately these are mostly UK sites or dead links. (Note the two thumbs up results in the link; one has a .UK address, the other is from Sweden.)<p>Here is one software link example:<p>http://download.com.com/3302-2641-6045535.html<p>
But you must be in the UK for this to work. I have access to the Internet and multiple e-mail accounts as well as my own web sites. I want to know HOW to send a file via Internet or, if I understand the previews correctly, by calling my phone from a modem. Converting the ringtones is easy; there is software all over for that. I need to get the ringtone to my phone.<p>Apparently you send an attachment to the phone. For Nokia phones the tones are converted or DL in a TEXT format. You then TEXT MESSAGE the phone with the ring tone. But HOW does the phone convert it? E-Mailing a TEXT file to my phone only shows me that I got an e-mail, no attachment.<p>[ February 11, 2003: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
chessman

Post by chessman »

I'm not sure how to convert the ring tones to the right format, but MSN Messenger allows you to send text messages over the internet to a cell phone. That part can take care of the sending of the message. As for the conversion part, have you tried emailing the people in UK and explaining the situation?
Skeeter

Post by Skeeter »

Hello Jolly Roger,<p>Try this link, it may help with your question.<p>http://cellphones.about.com/cs/askfreeq ... /index.htm<p> :)
Skeeter
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Skeeter,<p>Thanks for your posting. This is exactly what I needed. I knew there had to be a simple way to send these tones to my phone. The site you posted the link to provides a wealth of information. By simply using a converter on this web site I was able to generate a ring tone and send it to my phone via e-mail. It converts the files to a format my phone understands and produces a text message I can copy and paste into an e-mail and send it to my phone. Simple and FREE.