eliminate static electricity from my burr grinder

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
kheston

eliminate static electricity from my burr grinder

Post by kheston »

I have a burr type coffee grinder that is constructed mostly of plastic. For about six months now, it has maintained a static charge that causes grounds to fly everywhere when I attempt to empty the plastic cup the grinder fills as it grinds.<p>I'm hoping there's an eliminator that can be built cheaply that performs the same task as would a Zerostat gun or a wrist strap.<p>Thanks
Kurt - SF Bay
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Re: eliminate static electricity from my burr grinder

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Cheap Coffee grinders:<p>www.ebay.com - Found 1 for a Dollar.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
russlk

Post by russlk »

You might try washing the plastic parts in dish detergent, let dry, don't rinse. That technique has been used before.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

but whouldn't that lead to soapy tasting coffee ?*yuk*
kheston

Post by kheston »

I was kinda hoping for a static sucker circuit of sorts. Something that either pulled the charge off, no matter how little or increased it enough such that a grounding to earth would dissipate it. Don't know a whole bunch about the properties of static electricity, but was looking for something a little more high-tech than a washing with soap (which hasn't worked by the way).<p>[ December 03, 2003: Message edited by: Kurt Heston ]<p>[ December 03, 2003: Message edited by: Kurt Heston ]</p>
Kurt - SF Bay
kheston

Post by kheston »

Found a link where a guy describes using a Zerostat gun to eliminate the static elec. in his burr grinder:<p>burr grinder<p>"Zerostat gun that uses a piezo electric gizmo to generate a neutralizing charge". Can I build such an animal? Will it cost less than the $40 they want for a ZeroStat gun?
Kurt - SF Bay
cato

Post by cato »

Ummmm...have you considered using a grounding strap or wire?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

heres another idea
long time ago when i used to work in a factory..i had to handle a lot of hot parts that came out of a molding oven...when i put the hot metal in a nylon box and carried them back to the starting point...i whould develop a severe charge of static..i drew 2-3" sparks once i touched ground somewhere...can you say OW!
anyway i got smart,, i rembered that static is strongest in dry weather..so i decided to try out a spray bottle of water..i sprayed the nylon box lightly this got rid of all the static instantly..no more zaps! they also sell in computer places ANTI-STATIC spray...also in the laundry supplys area in stores..static cling control....
try spraying a light mist on the outside of your grinder and see if this might work for you...<p>let us know :D
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

For a boatload of ideas, search Google Groups for "solis maestro static" or simply "coffee static"
kheston

Post by kheston »

It appears my only options are low tech, huh? Oh well, I guess moisture and grounds straps shall be my allies as I grind coffee.<p>I was really hoping for suggestions on a gizmo to build that would do something like what the Zerostat gun does. Thought it would go better with my propeller hat than would a spray bottle. :( <p>Thanks all for your suggestions! :D
Kurt - SF Bay
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

Kurt, one of the Newsgroups suggestions I saw was to use a fireplace lighter which has run out of fuel. You know the kind I mean - they look like a little gun, and have a piezoelectric igniter on the tip. It was suggested that this is like a Zerostat gun. To search newsgroups, go to Google and click on the "groups" button.
kheston

Post by kheston »

RonH is on to something. Maybe I should start a new thread entitled "electric starter for my gas grill" or "ignition coil rapid trigger circuit"<p>If a piezo electric device can do it so can lots of windings, right?
Kurt - SF Bay
Edd

Post by Edd »

Kurt:
I also have a Zerostat Gun around…….some WHERE ?….but there is a difference if you were to use one of the piezo fireplace lighters. (Started at the full list price of 7.95….now they are as low as a buck at some dollar stores !) . In its application as a lighter, it is purposefully arcing across a fixed gap. To utilize it as an ionizer you don't want it to arc, instead, its High Tension lead is soldered to about a 1/4 inch broken off end of a very slim, very tapered sewing needle . You should be able to feel the blast with the hairs on the back of your hand an inch or greater from the needle tip and also hear a hiss, if the humidity is not excessive...
End results, all being in accordance to the piezo elements HV specs, but you can hop up one of those lighters a bit by tensioning its spring a bit stronger to result in a harder/faster mechanical activation.
Not being a coffee drinker from the age of four, if the coffee is dumped into a plastic reservoir at the bottom, any chance that a pyrex glass reservoir could be used down there and/or/ with the insertion of a larger paper coffee filter down into it ?<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;)
kheston

Post by kheston »

Thanks for all the suggestions!<p>In the end, I went low-tech. I'm just adding a teaspoon of water to the bean hopper just prior to starting the grinder. Works great!<p>Still, I would much rather have gone with something Doc-Emmett-Brown-looking that made the wife nervous when I used it. Oh well!
Kurt - SF Bay
Priage

Post by Priage »

Michael Kaudze wrote:Cheap Coffee grinders:<p>Best Coffee Espresso Machines - Found 1 for a Dollar.
I did checked the Ebay but could not get the required results. Thanks for the help.