Western Electric Phone Ringer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Tommy volts

Western Electric Phone Ringer

Post by Tommy volts »

I have an old Western Electric type P3A ringer which has 4 wires on the coil (red, black, slate and slate with red stripes). Please see the pages below for information and photo.<p>I would like to ring the ringer with the Ring generator circuit also shown below.<p>My question is how do I connect the ring generator with two leads to the ringer/transformer which has 4 leads? <p>Thank you for any advice.<p>Western Electric P3A Ringer
Photograph of 4-Wire Coil
Ring Generator Circuit
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Re: Western Electric Phone Ringer

Post by frhrwa »

the red and black wires will go to your t&r leads, thats your telephone wires from the wall.. then.. the slate and slate/red lead go to a capacitor depending on what ringer frequency you are using..
.1mf (250wvdc) 50, 54, 60, 66, 66 2/3 cps
.25mf " 40, 42 cps
.35mf " 33 1/3 cps
.5 mf " 16, 16 2/3 20, 25, 30 cps
and try not to get shocked while hooking up your telephone line to this ringer.. it is obvously one of the older from a standard 500 (rotary) or 2500 (touch tone) phone.. back when phones were phones.. by the way, if you had the original network from the phone that this ringer came from, you could just hook the leads back up to L1, L2, A1, and K I believe, would have to verify that but you probably don't have the network from the phone anyway... if so, I'll dig it out for you, been a long time since I even seen an old style ringer..<p>[ November 12, 2003: Message edited by: wayne ]</p>
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

Wayne,
Please see the link to the "Ring Generator Circuit" above. This is what I intend on driving the ringer with. <p>To drive the ringer with that generator, if I understand you correctly, I need to:<p>1. Connect the red and black ringer wires to the generator output.
2. Place a .5mF 250 vdc capacitor across the slate and slate with red stripe ringer wires.<p>Did I get that right? If so I am going to start buying ($$) the parts.<p>Thank you.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

that's basically what the network in the phone does.. when the phone is on hook, the ringing voltage would come in on the T & R and usually the older ringers had one side connected to the L1 tap, or T side.. the other went to the yellow wire in the line cord, this was jumpered to the L2 tap, or R side.. then if you connected the yellow wire to the green in the jack, you'd send ringing down the line to the phone.. then, with the red and the black from the ringers tied to basically the L1 & L2, you'd connect the slate and slate/red from the ringer to the A & K taps on the network to add the capacitor into the circuit blocking the DC.. different values on the cap. gave you the different ringing frequencies for the party line applications.. its been a long time like I say since I looked into one of the old sets, just going from memory on them.. in fact, come to think of it, a lot of the old style party line ringers had a capacitor soldered right to where the slate and slate/red wires are soldered.. so if you run across any of those, just look at the cap and you can figure out the frequency of the ringer..<p>[ November 13, 2003: Message edited by: wayne ]</p>
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!