Micro Memories, Nov. 2003

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
CeaSaR

Micro Memories, Nov. 2003

Post by CeaSaR »

Hi everyone,<p>Ed Driscoll Jr.'s column in Nov. 2003 issue of Nuts and Volts is an interesting look at the rise and slow demise of the once almighty CompuServe. Of particular note to me was the reference to the game ADVENTURE. Several years ago I was at a yard sale and bought a bunch of disks (5-1/4 and 3-1/2) thinking I would reformat them and store my growing files on them. Lo and behold, ARChived on one of the 5-1/4 disks was ADVENTURE! Once I found the program to get it out of ARC, I transferred it to 3-1/2 and my HDD. What a cool game for it's day! Here's a sample:<p>*****-----*****<p>[0;1mWang Professional Computer Adventure v1.0[0m<p>Welcome to Adventure!<p>Would you like instructions?
==>Y<p>Somewhere nearby is Colossal Cave, where others have found fortunes in
treasure and gold, though it is rumored that some who enter are never
seen again. Magic is said to work in the cave. I will be your eyes
and hands. Direct me with commands of 1 or 2 words. I should warn
you that I look at only the first five letters of each word, so you'll
have to enter "NORTHEAST" as "NE" to distinguish it from "NORTH".
(Should you get stuck, type "HELP" for some general hints. For infor-
mation on how to end your adventure, etc., type "INFO".)<p>You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building.
Around you is a forest. A small stream flows out of the building and
down a gully.
==><p>
*****-----*****<p>What a shame they can't get the feature back, as the game is only 101 KB. I just wanted Ed Driscoll Jr. to know that the game is still around, if only in small and possibly forgotten numbers.<p>Now let's see, did I have to go N or S ...<p>CeaSaR :p
Hey, what do I know?
josmith

Re: Micro Memories, Nov. 2003

Post by josmith »

Last sunday "best buys" had a cdrw for twenty bucks.cdr's are under a dime. I didn't know that anybody was still using flopies for backup!
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

This game, and similar were quite fun. This game was also ported to the APPLE II series of computers. Some of these games are still around in JAVA form! See this example:<p>http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/infocomjava.html<p>And for those that want to play the late 70's and 1980's arcade games, these are available in JAVA, Shockwave, and DOS. Go here:<p>http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/80s_games/arcade.htm
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

That was back when I "upgraded" to a 386! 'Now I got me one of them there modren machines that uses them shiny silver things instead o them flippy floppy black things!' :) <p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Good grief! I thought I was up-to-date with the TTY version of Star Trek!<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Would that be TOS, TNG, DSIX, V, OR E?<p>(Okay Trekkies/Trekkers, name them all. If I have forgotten any of them, my apologies to Gene Roddenberry.)<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?